Shopping for Reyes in Spain

Posted by: MadridMan

Shopping for Reyes in Spain - 01/04/10 05:24 AM

What are your experiences? I still have a few days left, VERY FEW, but still have to do some shopping for Magic Kings Day ("Los Reyes Magos") on 6 January.

First, I hate shopping of any kind - except for computer and electronics stuff. Anything else gives me anxiety. It's not just the choosing "that perfect gift" but also the standing in super long lines (here in Madrid, the lines can be 25 persons long, whereas I've never seen such a thing in the USA except at the opening of a new iStore or something), and they don't/won't/can't put on another open cash register/check-out.

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: PADM

Re: Shopping for Reyes in Spain - 01/04/10 05:35 AM

And that's when you have found what you want...If you want to see a posttraumatic stress episode, just say "Reyes Magos" to an spanish.
Posted by: steve robinson

Re: Shopping for Reyes in Spain - 01/04/10 06:10 AM

Well i´m blaming the financial downturn on me not buying for Reyes Magos this year !!! But having seen the madness in Madrid City Centre .. Calle Preciados and Carmen especially , and having spent 3 days over christmas in the heart of London where you couldn´t move for people I seriously doubt this idea of a financial downturn !( At least for retailers and restaurants / bars )
Posted by: jazz

Re: Shopping for Reyes in Spain - 01/04/10 06:31 AM

Steve, the magic kings are modern and they pay with VISA credit

Re: Shopping for Reyes in Spain - 01/04/10 07:07 AM

I believe that !! But ever since I got into serious debt ( using credit cards and store cards ) when I was much younger .. about 24 ... I vowed never to do it again and only buy things if the money was in the bank . Not easy !! But it has worked so far . My nieces in Moscow will also be celebrating on January 6th for the Russian orthodox christmas ... and the streets of Moscow will be packed with people like my brother and his wife buying gifts for the kids ! And it´s -20 degrees right now and getting colder !
With the rain today , I wonder if some people will not go shopping in Madrid !
Posted by: pedmar

Re: Shopping for Reyes in Spain - 01/04/10 11:05 AM

sales are a bit down in volume but the buying is frenzy, folks are just downgrading a bit; i just saw TElemadrid as i am home today,great feeling too bad not there yet....OF course I wont know, having 3 boys, do not see the crisis yet!

the cabalgata is going to be great including in it the 100 yr anniversary of the GRan Via!!! I will look forward to my tv sat to see as much as possible.

-20 degrees in Moscow!! wow!!! I am -5 here and i do not want to go out....freak out cold !

Re: Shopping for Reyes in Spain - 01/04/10 02:09 PM

Just got back from doing the last of my shopping in the neighborhood for Reyes Magos on Wednesday. Now the wrapping. rolleyes

Some of the shop owners have told me that people are still buying but just buying cheaper things.

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Shopping for Reyes in Spain - 01/04/10 02:43 PM

exactly the volume is about the same as last year but the ticket items are less, sort like simulated savings. But dont tell the crisis gurus they would not how to make of it.

Re: Shopping for Reyes in Spain - 01/06/10 05:54 AM

FINALLY! It's done. The gifts are all bought and wrapped and ready to be distributed today.

NOW begins now only the returns and exchanges. AND TOMORROW begins "LAS REBAJAS" - THE HUGE SALES. I'll even "invest" in some electronics and maybe even some clothes. We'll see.

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Shopping for Reyes in Spain - 01/06/10 11:54 AM

Well I hope you know who enjoys his gift(s) ... Or they´ll be all hell to pay jejejejeje . I think , though I shouldn´t , I might hit the rebajas tomorrow . I think if it was the UK they´d have started them today when almost nobody´s at work ... though I guess quite a few people may have taken Thursday and Friday off to knit into the weekend .
The bargains will be massive for sure . In the past few years I bought a great fitted leather jacket by Pedro de Hierro down from €499 to €99 .. I´d been looking for exactly that style so it was an amazing purchase . And then in Serrano , whilst looking for a black velvet fitted jacket ( very popular here in Madrid , and worn with jeans ) ... I found the perfect jacket in Purificación García ( Great designer ! ) .. exactly the same as the leather jacket ... down from 500 to 100 !
I´m not a great shopper either .. I know what I want and I can more or less walk into a store , stand in the middle , do a 360º turn and walk out . I don´t mess around !

Re: Shopping for Reyes in Spain - 01/06/10 03:26 PM

you need to look closely some are not really discount but just a reduction from an over inflated price,happens anywhere. Of course, with the economy the way it is there, you might see more discounts.
I am hoping to see some when I get there ::)