[this thread was copied/moved to this forum and given its current subject line at "colleen"'s request. the original thread will remain in the "About Spain" forum]

colleen
Junior Member posted 07-17-2000 04:07 AM
---------------------------------------------
Dear Rafael,
I'm also new to MadridMan's site and I think it's wonderful! I live in Los Angeles and would like to move to Madrid or another major city in Spain with my 8 year old son in the summer of 2001.

My priority: education for my boy. Our goal is to immerse ourselves in the Spanish language and culture! I understand basic conversational Spanish and am learning more. Mi hijo loves the language and is an eager beginner.

I've searched the Web and gotten lots of information about the private English-speaking schools in Spain. I don't believe I want to put Ryan in one of those schools.

My question to you is: how do I find out which escuelas publicos are the best in the Madrid area?

For example, my boy currently just finished 3rd grade in a public school in Los Angeles. Most of the L.A. School Distric schools are, unfortunately, not very good.

The primary reasons for the poor performance of the public elementary schools here in L.A. are: 1) the fact that L.A. has so many recent immigrants from so many countries. We haven't yet figured out the best way to bring these bright, beautiful kids into the mainstream of U.S. education, and 2) California doesn't spend enough MONEY on primary school education. That situation is expected to improve due to California's improving economy and more money targeted for public schools.

I didn't mean to ramble on. But my point is that my boy is getting a GREAT education in an L.A. public school BECAUSE IT'S IN AN AFFLUENT NEIGHBORHOOD with parents who value an excellent education and contribute lots of time and money to the school.

My question to you, dear new friend, is: How do I find such a public school in the Madrid area???

I'm getting credentialed in Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) and only plan to work during my son's school day. I'm a lawyer (happy to leave the field) and former nurse, so maybe my knowledge of English technical terms may come in handy in my job searches.

Also, one more thing: I graduated from Marquette University years ago and know they have a Madrid Center. I've e-mailed the University for help but haven't heard from them yet.

Do you have any thoughts or advice for me? I am very grateful to know that you are right there in Madrid and I can ask you these questions.

Modern technology is so great!! My best regards to you.

Colleen N.

Antonio
Administrator posted 07-17-2000 08:47 PM
If you are so worried about the quality of education you should know that private schools in Spain has much better reputation than public ones.
[Note that most of them are religious (catholic) schools].

Regards,

Antonio

Nuria
Junior Member posted 07-18-2000 10:34 AM
Hi Colleen,
Antonio is right, private schools are better in Madrid, but I know some public schools that are good too. The only problem is that you cannot take your son to any school you want you have to take him to the school that is in your area (the area where you live). Of course the best public schools are in the best areas of Madrid. I went to public school in Vallecas, that is not one of the best areas of Madrid (but I love it) and I think the quality was really nice, but of course the schools in the good areas not only have good quality but good tables, chairs, gym...

Diana
Junior Member posted 07-18-2000 12:47 PM
Hi, Colleen,
Nuria's point about the public schools is a very good one, and I think it's true anywhere.

I'd like to go back to the English speaking private schools in Madrid. Why don't you want your son to go to one of them? I taught at the American School of Madrid for 13 years, and I can say, with no reservations, that it is one of the best international schools in Europe. I now teach in a prestigious private school in Pennsylvania, and it's not nearly as good as ASM. About 60+% of the students in ASM are Spanish, and many more than 60% of the total are bilingual. (Some speak 3 or more languages.) Students in the lower school all get daily Spanish lessons with native Spanish teachers. The curriculum is more like an American school's, and it is different than a Spanish school's. If your son would go to a Spanish school, he would be about 2 years behind in math. Students in Spanish schools have to do an enormous amount of straight memorization, something American students are not used to. The quality of the education given at ASM is so high that students returning to the US after a few years there are often put into accelerated classes. The upper school offers both advanced placement courses and the international baccalaureate program.

If your reason is that he would be more immersed in the Spanish culture and way of life if he were to go the a Spanish school, yes he might, but you have to keep in mind other things. He doesn't speak fluent Spanish yet. Spanish schools do not have programs for non-Spanish speaking students. The work is hard, and chances are good he will fail, at least at the beginning, until he catches up in the language and with the level of the classes. What if things don't work out and you leave after a year or two? At what point will he be then in his education?

I'm sorry I sound so picky, but you're contemplating a huge move which involves a child, and that's very different from just making the move yourself. My two children made the move from Spain, where they were born, to the USA when they were still in elementary school. The fact that they had gone to ASM helped them enormously, and the move from one school to another went smoothly and they are doing very well here. They are still bilingual. Please be careful with what you choose to do for your son.

Also, you may want to look again at the other English speaking private schools. ASM is the only one with an American program, and the student body is extremely international (something I think is educational in itself). The other schools all have as many as 98% Spanish students, so the Spanish influence is even greater. Spanish parents are all very anxious that their children learn English well. The only problem is that the children in these schools have a harder time learning English because they all speak Spanish among themselves. Of course, this may be a good thing for your son. Also, many of these schools are fairly new and have beautiful, modern buildings and equipment. I think they may also be cheaper than ASM, but I'm not sure about that. (ASM is ridiculously expensive. Thanks to the wonderful labor laws in Spain, my children went to ASM for free because I worked there.)

Good luck with your plans! It's a good thing you are looking into all of this a year ahead of time. Let me know if I can help you.

colleen
Junior Member posted 07-21-2000 03:25 PM
Dear Antonio, Nuria and Diana,
Thank you so very much!! Your responses are very much appreciated.

Based on what you have told me, I will seriously reconsider private schools. All of my education in the U.S. was in Catholic schools and the quality was high, so I'm pleased to hear that's true in Spain as well.

Question: is there any way to contact Catholic elementary schools in the Madrid area to get informatio? My Spanish is still fairly basic but I could write a simple letter asking for enrollment information if I knew where to write. . . .

Is there a central Archdiocese office for education, or something similar?

And you, Diana, are so lucky to have worked at the American School of Madrid and received free tuition for your two children. I want to work there!! Seriously, I understand that U.S. citizens are at a disadvantage in job hunting in Europe. But, I'd be very interested in any jobs - of any sort - at the American School if my son could attend.

I downloaded information from the American School early in my search about a month ago, but immediately crossed it off because of the cost. Now I need to reconsider it and use my creativity to reduce the cost, if possible.

Again, a GIANT thank you to all of you!! Any further info you can give, or opinions will be so appreciated.

Best to you, Antonio, Nuria and Diana.

Colleen N.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog