Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#88629 - 11/16/10 02:29 PM swim camp
krm Offline

Loc: United States
Hola:

My daughter (12) speaks good Spanish and is an intermediate club swimmer. Our family wishes to find a swim camp where she can up-grade her swim skills and practice her Spanish. Other family members would seek language or art lessons. We have been Central American residents and seek an authentic Spanish location that is not an "extranjero" enclave. Would this eliminate Mediterranean locations? Your tips are greatly appreciated.

Gracias

#88634 - 11/17/10 09:42 AM Re: swim camp [Re: krm]
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Originally Posted By krm
My daughter (12) speaks good Spanish and is an intermediate club swimmer. Our family wishes to find a swim camp where she can up-grade her swim skills and practice her Spanish. Other family members would seek language or art lessons. We have been Central American residents and seek an authentic Spanish location that is not an "extranjero" enclave. Would this eliminate Mediterranean locations? Your tips are greatly appreciated.
Yes, this would probably exclude Mediterranean beaches. But, on the other coasts you have Santander (Univ. Internacional Menendez Pelayo), People of Cantabria speak el Castellano extremly Fast. My Madrilena wife had a hard time keeping up with it. The 'Jewel' of the Coast is Sardinero Playa. On the Atlantic Coast, There's a University in Baiona (West from Vigo); it's Playa Samil. There are also bagpipe (Gaita Gallega) competitions in Vigo each May.

My last visit to Galicia, I flew Madrid to Santiago, then continued by Bus to Arosa, where I would wait for Saturday and the Pilgrims' Mass (complete with Botafumeiro). Arosa is a sleepy fishing village, on the Coast. There's a beach but nothing to brag about.

Llanes, in Asturias is the only other excellent Beach on the Mar Cantabrico I would recommend.

If you go, Bilbao is aleays a good place to buy Quesos de cabra, Morcillas & Chorizo's to make a nice Favada.

Santander has its Annual Fiesta week between San Fermin & Santiago. There's Flamenco & Jotas (my favorite) - Avda. de Burgos really 'gets it on.' That's around mid-July

Edited by Eddie (11/17/10 03:41 PM)

#88637 - 11/17/10 09:31 PM Re: swim camp [Re: Eddie]
krm Offline

Loc: United States
Eddie:

Thank you for the tips. Do you have any idea/contact where I might be able to find a swim camp to enroll her in?

krm

#88638 - 11/18/10 06:04 AM Re: swim camp [Re: krm]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Somebody Spanish may have to correct me here , but I don´t think they have camps exclusively for swimming here . I've certainly never heard of them in my home country of England .
What they do have are summer camps where swimming would form a part of the activities . Some camps combine sport and learning English .. something your daughter obviously doesn´t require but I´m sure I´ve heard of camps for Spanish/Latino kids . That would involve her being away from her family for some weeks of course .

#88641 - 11/18/10 08:59 AM Re: swim camp [Re: krm]
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Originally Posted By krm
Thank you for the tips. Do you have any idea/contact where I might be able to find a swim camp to enroll her in

no contact! You might have some success with the Department of Oceanography at the University in Baiona (Pontevedra).
There are several surf camps accessible by internet, two in Cantabria. Key words are surf camp.
UIMP has a pool but I don't see any offering from them.

Edited by Eddie (11/18/10 09:31 AM)

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments