Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#90913 - 05/07/12 06:13 PM Auxiliares de Conversación en España
Marisa419 Offline

Loc: Madrid, España
Hi everyone,

I haven't been able to find anything on this topic on here, but if this has already been discussed (maybe by my mother esperanza), let me know!

I applied to be an "auxiliar de conversación" in Spain for this coming 2012-2013 school year and I was just accepted to be placed somewhere in Andalucía.

I'm wondering if anyone has heard of the program before, and if any of you or others that you know have ever taken part in this. I am having a hard time finding information online about different experiences. I wasn't expecting to be accepted and now that I have been accepted, I'm not sure what to think!

Thank you!

Marisa

#90917 - 05/08/12 07:25 AM Re: Auxiliares de Conversación en España [Re: Marisa419]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
sorry for first time heard about "Auxiliar de conversacion"? lol!!

#90932 - 05/09/12 01:17 PM Re: Auxiliares de Conversación en España [Re: Marisa419]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Originally Posted By Marisa419
I applied to be an "auxiliar de conversación" in Spain for this coming 2012-2013 school year and I was just accepted to be placed somewhere in Andalucía.

WOW!! CONGRATULATIONS, Marisa!! cheers That's GREAT news! yeah You were just accepted. Wonderful. But it sounds like you haven't accepted any position just yet. It's good that you're checking-up on them first.

So to be clear - for those which may not understand, you've been offered a Teacher's Assistant position somewhere in Andalucia for an English class' ENGLISH conversational component, correct? You would be 'used' to help improve the students' English language conversational skills.

Originally Posted By Marisa419
I'm wondering if anyone has heard of the program before, and if any of you or others that you know have ever taken part in this. I am having a hard time finding information online about different experiences. I wasn't expecting to be accepted and now that I have been accepted, I'm not sure what to think!

So the program is called "Auxiliares de Conversación en España"? I've not heard of it, no, but hopefully some others have. I did just find a Spanish Government page about it at Auxiliares de Conversación Extranjeros en España-2012 . Is this the same program?

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#90933 - 05/09/12 01:17 PM Re: Auxiliares de Conversación en España [Re: pedmar]
Crisco Offline

This is a great program available both in Spain and France offered by the government.You also get a small salary and work to improve the children's speaking ability and you improve your Spanish.To earn more you can usually get private English classes.The best thing is you are working legally!
I googled auxiliar de conversacion and read a blog by an American.My friend's daughter participated in this program in France and loved it.

#90938 - 05/09/12 03:10 PM Re: Auxiliares de Conversación en España [Re: MadridMan]
Marisa419 Offline

Loc: Madrid, España
Thank you very much! You're right, that is the program, and no, I haven't accepted the position yet. Sorry I didn't clarify all the specifics!

I'll be looking into it a bit more and I'll let you all know what happens!

#90940 - 05/09/12 03:45 PM Re: Auxiliares de Conversación en España [Re: Marisa419]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
ahh to assist on theh correct pronounciation, that is helpful but never into those programs anywhere myself. I learn all my languages by inmersion right into the class with locals. hard at first but no accent later ::)
Good luck with your decision

#91002 - 05/19/12 02:46 AM Re: Auxiliares de Conversación en España [Re: pedmar]
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Hi Marisa,

I work at a school in Madrid where I have 5 auxiliares de conversación as a part of my team. Overall, the experience is wonderful, though each school has a slightly different approach. As MadridMan told you, you will be "used" for your native-speaking skills and normally be asked to contribute your cultural knowledge to the class; in other words, bring your world and language to the classroom.

Mainly are supposed to do is assist the main teacher in any way possible, and help the students improve their speaking and listening skills. Legally you are not supposed to teach the class without another teacher being present. In practice, this can be different as many assistants enjoy working with half the class on their own, but that's a different story.

Pay, as a rule, is nothing to write home about, and you might have to supplement with private tutoring. But in general, it's a very positive experience.

I recommend integrating as much as possible into the school and faculty atmosphere. The Spanish really appreciate it when they see you want to become a part of their world and it makes everything that much more pleasant.

Do you know what age group they have in mind for you?

I'm pretty up on this subject (it's one of the few I know in life!) so please don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Take care.
Brian

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments