Hello all.

I'm 16, and a friend and I are looking to work in Spain for a month or so in July / August, to help our Spanish, and to have a good time. I've used the site and sent emails to every 3 star hotel in Madrid, and may start the 4 stars soon. Does anyone on here have knowledge of such things?

After being unable to register for this forum for some reason, I emailed MadridMan, who kindly replied as so:

"I think your dad is right. No hotel will A) hire teenagers, B) hire anyone via the internet, C) hire anyone in exchange for lodging or lodging AND meals, and D) July and August are the slowest months of the year for hotels throughout Spain - except on the coasts - and so they typically have LESS work staff during these summer months. So, POSSIBLY, you might have more luck in, say, Benidorm (I just got back from there and could hardly find any Spaniards! They were all British!), and along the southern Costa del Sol where lots of Brits find summer work. But your age, I believe, will be a hinderance. While some might hire teenagers I don't think they would hire them under 18 years old.

Your email is quite well written, too. Sorry you didn't get any response but.... welll..... It'll be tough in Madrid for July and August. The place is practically a ghost town during this time, lots of restaurants and shops close and there's much less traffic on the streets."

Since this, I sent out the emails to all 3 stars in Madrid, and only got one reply - saying that they will let us know if anything comes up.

It's looking unlikely, however I would be very thankful for anyones experience or general thoughts on the matter.

Thanks,
Stephen Devincenzi