Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#41483 - 04/16/03 05:57 PM I need everyone's wisdom
atrixo Offline

I'll try to make this as brief as possible. I'm planning on taking a trip to Spain this October for 3 months or beyond. I need some guidance on several issues and I thought I'd come to the source that really helped me make my decision to go out there in the first place: MadridMan.com.

1) I speak very little Spanish (I've just started to be tutored so hopefully I'll know a little more by October) but, do enough young people speak English so that I won't feel totally isolated?

2) I'd like to really gain a high level of confidence in the language before I leave, how long does one think is necessary to be there. I know this is a very subjective question I'm basicaly asking what other people's experiences are.

3) I know the party scene isn't going to be as good as the summer but is it still going to be a great time if I go in the fall?

Those are my questions. Please answer. I need knowledge, I need inspiration. Plus it was 84 degrees today in NY and I'm just generally excited. Peace.

#41484 - 04/16/03 06:18 PM Re: I need everyone's wisdom
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Hey, atrixo! You will have a wonderful time in Spain, and won't have any trouble getting around. Even with limited Spanish, you'll find that communicating with other young people is not a problem. Between your Spanish and the English that many Spanish young people know, you will be bound to make friends.

As for how long to stay...I knew a little Spanish when I went in college, and stayed for 8 weeks. I was fairly fluent when I came home, having (a) taken Spanish classes and (b) dated a Spaniard. I wouldn't say I am a quick language learner, but I did have a foundation in grammar and vocabulary. What I acquired there was the confidence to use them, and the right accent!

I don't know about the party scene in fall--but I imagine it's great. You just need to make Spanish friends and go out with them! That's really the best way to learn the language--if you're smart about it, you can exchange English assistance for Spanish. Get together one day and speak only English, and another speaking only Spanish!

Have fun!

#41485 - 04/20/03 05:18 PM Re: I need everyone's wisdom
atrixo Offline

Thanks taravb, your post makes me even more excited to go. I can't wait. Take care.

atrixo

#41486 - 04/20/03 10:37 PM Re: I need everyone's wisdom
Espe3 Offline

Like you said, as far as how long you have to be there to learn to speak it well is subjective. It will depend on many factors- your willingness to learn, if you speak any other languages, or if you're simply a good student etc. etc.

As far as young people speaking english... well, most of them will try, let's put it that way. smile Do NOT feel shy or embarrassed about making mistakes, that's what learning another language is all about. People will be very helpful and understanding, so I wouldn't worry. The less english they speak the better for you anyway- it will make you learn that much faster smile So don't sweat it!

As far as the party scene. How mistaken you are! laugh Depending on the city you're planning on being in... Madrid for example- in the summer, as true of the bigger cities in Spain, everyone goes to the beach. So the summers are pretty calm, and especially in August I can vouch for Madrid being pretty calm (although there's ALWAYS somewhere to go!) The rest of the year however, is one big social event! So if you're going to be in one of the bigger cities, you're going at a GREAT time! smile

Good luck! And again, don't sweat it! People are helpful and friendly and there's ALWAYS PLENTY to do! smile Enjoy your stay!

Oh! And stay away from the irish pubs- try the best you can to make some spanish friends. If you hang out with foreigners you won't learn half as much!

#41487 - 04/21/03 05:37 AM Re: I need everyone's wisdom
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Atrixo writes:
Quote:

1) I speak very little Spanish (... hopefully I'll know a little more by October) but, do enough young people speak English so that I won't feel totally isolated?
That's not what total immersion is all about: looking for people who speak English is not the way to go! If you begin by looking for people who speak English, you will fail ... A little isolation is a good motivator!
Quote:
2) I'd like to really gain a high level of confidence in the language before I leave, how long ...
Six to nine months of total immersion should do it.
Quote:
3) I know the party scene isn't going to be as good as the summer but is it still going to be a great time if I go in the fall?
Are you going to 'party' or to learn Spanish? Not to say that those goals are mutually exclusive but you've got to keep your own objectives in mind. If you do meet some young Spanish people, you may find that they are trying to practice or perfect their own English language skills.

#41488 - 05/30/03 11:12 PM Re: I need everyone's wisdom
GuiaGuiri Offline

Loc: New England, USA/València, Esp...
Hi,
for what it's worth, I will second what Eddie and the others have ably said, with much stress and emphasis on the main thing, which is to dive right in to local culture and avoid the trap of re-creating your familiar milieu back home. If you do get out there and meet friends, then in three months you will certainly be fluentisimo.
Remember to be patient at all times, especially until you begin to develope any momentum - a lot will seem to go over your head at first, and you and your interlocutors will do a lot of eye-rolling aand groaning, but suddenly it will all "kick in". Give yourself a few weeks at least to learn to swim en castellano, it will be maddening at first, but worth it in the end.
Pick any city or town to live in, but stick to it since your three months will zip by fast. Chances are you will have a great time and a learning experience you will look back on fondly forever.
Familiarize yourself with the layout of the town immediatly, and then set about to making yourself a regular at: 1) one or two cafes for morning java; 2)a restaurant or two for the midday meal which is served roughly between 2 and 4 pm - one near the market is a good idea, and; 3) a bar. Hit these marks at least a few times a week, more at first.
The daytime action at the restaurants will be hectic and not always conducive to meeting new friends, but the bar is most important so what ever you do don't go for the "pubs" that generally have an ex-pat clientelle. Until you meet new friends and follow their lead, consider the bar to be a variety of part-time job. Try getting there (a couple of nights at least) by 10 pm or so when you can park at a bar stool and just stay there til closing (I just drink cañas to stay somewhat lucid, short draft beers, since I have low alcohol tolerance). Depending on the town you choose, the restauranteurs, waiters, cooks, actors, and musicians will roll in a bit after midnight and the party will then really take off.
Find the night clubs.
In general, you want to give people a chance to chat you up. We all know about security issues, but don't let that cramp your style - make yourself "pickpocket-proof" so you can relax.
If you are still concerned abhout being marked for a patsy by a "sharpie", then a safe bet is to gravitate to people of about your own age who are having a good time in groups anywhere at all.
Accept 99% of all invitations "sight unseen", bring a bottle of wine or two, or stop at a bakery on the way for a tray of pastries - the baker will wrap things up like a birthday present. When in doubt bring flowers.
Start these things immediatly, don't waste a minuto. When you get short you will be glad you lived every day.
Buy a local newspaper and read (or struggle through) at least one or two stories every day;increase your load every day. Spanish is shockingly easy for english speakers to learn, and going through a written story, even with the help of a dictionary, will prove it. The newspaper will be easy. Make word lists as you go along to go over the dictionary with.
Don't even bother at all with television or go to a movie (particularly alone, how boring), and generally try to be around people. You will be surprised how instantly you will be wealthy with friends - the first pal you make will introduce you to a whole gang.
Don't be reluctant to pick a small town or mix with a "working class" crowd. Remember, in Spain you are not defined by your work.
You are probably doing the best possible preparation in studying the language a bit, but be prepared to throw it all out the window when you hook up with new friends and begin to have the "all spanish" and "all english" days with any of them as suggested above.
Let us all know where you are going when you have a plan, and keep us readers posted on your progress! I am sure everyone's first choice is Madrid, but have you considered Valencia?
Have a great time in Spain!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2594 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments