Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#85484 - 10/16/09 04:00 AM Lavapiés - Madrid
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I just read that they´ve installed 48 cctv cameras in the Lavapiés region of Madrid . They´re disguised to look like street lamps . They haven´t started recording yet but are due to in 2 months time .
My country , the UK , is the most CCTV-ed country in Europe so I´m used to it , but i predict a lot of opposition to this spreading beyond Lavapiés as well as in Lavapiés itself .
Lavapiés does have a lot of problems with crime , but other regions like Tetuán , Getafe , Leganés etc etc also have problems .
I do get worried about this Big Brother attitude from government .
They have to do something , of course , but they´re not addressing the root of the problem ... You can catch as many criminals as you want on CCTV evidence but it won´t prevent the fundamentals of the problems .

#85486 - 10/16/09 05:37 AM Re: Lavapiés - Madrid [Re: steve robinson]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Quote:
"You're less likely to throw a spit-wad if you know the teacher is watching."
-Original Quote by MadridMan (is it all that original?)

They've also installed cameras in the Plaza Mayor, they said this morning on Telemadrid TV. I'm not against the cameras. I guess they serve a dual purpose in A) making people feel safer and B) a faster reaction to problems. But if the cameras are so "hidden" normal people won't even know they're there. But I guess if you make them obvious they'd be subject to vandalism.

Big Brother has no place in my home, in my own private space. But when I'm out on the street I'm in public, sharing a common space, so I don't feel violated when there's a camera on me while I'm waiting for the bus. Besides, they don't have enough people working those monitors to watch every single person on every camera.

Provide an opportunity and someone will exploit it. How can society correct this? I have no idea.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments