Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#39309 - 10/20/04 06:45 AM Donīt get scammed in Barcelona
livinNspain Offline

I thought that everyone knew about the "game" (scam) called 3 card monte. Apparently some folks donīt. I was walking down La Rambla last week and a "game" started up. This one didnīt use cards, but a small ball under some boxes. In this game the dealer places a ball under one of the three boxes and quickly moves them around. When he is done he invites someone to guess which box the ball is under. You have to bet 50€ to win 100€. And of course it looks easy because lots of people are winning (his buddies). Anyways, donīt be fooled into gambling, you can not win this game. These guys got a few people 50€ each time until the police came and they split very quickly. If you want more information you can do a search for "three card monte" Also, while you shouldnīt play this game, I do suggest watching as it is quite fun when you know how it works.

#39310 - 10/20/04 07:03 AM Re: Donīt get scammed in Barcelona
Dave B. Offline

Loc: Lancaster, Ohio USA
The only problem with stopping to watch the three card monte or "shell game" is that this seems to be an opportunity for the pickpockets.

The few people that I saw that appeared to be "up to something" were hanging around the shell game tables on Las Ramblas. You are so right about the game being rigged.

#39311 - 10/21/04 05:05 AM Re: Donīt get scammed in Barcelona
livinNspain Offline

That is true, you have to watch your wallet and other belongings if you are haning around this game. These guys have several buddies in the crowd to encourage others to play and to watch for the police. I wouldnīt reccomend telling someone in the crowd around you not to play because one of the inside guys could hear you... possibly inviting trouble for yourself. If your money is in your pocket, I reccomend putting your hands in your pocket while you watch.

#39312 - 10/21/04 11:59 AM Re: Donīt get scammed in Barcelona
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Do you mean 50 Euro cents or 50 Euros?? The latter (about $63.25 US Dollars at today's exchange rate) seems very high for that sort of scam. rolleyes

#39313 - 10/21/04 02:33 PM Re: Donīt get scammed in Barcelona
livinNspain Offline

50€ Euros... paper money. Not centimos.

#39314 - 12/28/04 12:15 AM Re: Donīt get scammed in Barcelona
livinNspain Offline

These guys are still doing their scam, and sadly I have seen them trick several people recently. They are making a lot of money and taking people's vacation money away from them. I normally see them on Saturday afternoons at the bottom of the Ramblas. Beware and warn anyone you know not to play.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments