Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#39237 - 08/13/04 06:35 PM Medical travel insurance: necessary?
Mar Offline

Loc: chicago/bcn
Any good comprehensive policies (medical)? Would appreciate your advice. Also how do the clinics work? Do they take kindly to travelers?

#39238 - 08/16/04 12:01 PM Re: Medical travel insurance: necessary?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Well, I'm not an expert on how clinics and hospitals deal with tourists and foreigners but I would say that it is highly recommendable to have a travel insurance, just in case.

Anyway, as far as I know, our Public Health System would take care of you in any case, though they might charge your medical insurance after caring for you.

Fernando

#39239 - 08/16/04 03:52 PM Re: Medical travel insurance: necessary?
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I travel a lot and I now always get comprehensive travel insurance. Thankfully I have not had to use it, but my parents have in a big way, and if they didn't have medical coverage they would be short many thousands of dollars.

A good place to shop for travel insurance is http://www.insuremytrip.com/

I've noticed, though, that it's a good idea to visit the web pages of the individual companies, because insuremytrip doesn't always have all the available policies. Still, it's a good place to start with comparisons.

I've been getting TravelGuard's Protect Assist coverage. It's one of the few that covers everything, including medical and trip cancellation/interruption when due to terrorism. It's expensive, though.

As for the clinics in Spain, my experiences during the 13 years I lived there were almost all positive - and with two kids, I went often! My opinion of health services in Spain is very high. I wouldn't hesitate to get medical help there whenever necessary.

#39240 - 08/17/04 11:36 AM Re: Medical travel insurance: necessary?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
I have an anecdote that corresponds to Diana's observations about health care in Spain. Last winter my aunt had a heart attack while visiting family in Aviles, Asturias, and was taken to the local hospital.

Both she and my uncle rave about the professionalism of the doctors and staff and the entire hospital system in Spain. They, however, had to pay in cash eek for my aunt's stay, because they failed to purchase travel health insurance, and their insurance company did not provide coverage outside of the U.S.

So, before you travel, check to see if your policy carries over to other countries, and have it in writing.!

#39241 - 08/17/04 11:50 AM Re: Medical travel insurance: necessary?
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
Booklady--
Just curious, were the healthcare costs for your aunt less than they would have been in the US?

#39242 - 08/17/04 03:17 PM Re: Medical travel insurance: necessary?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Mariposita, quite a lot less! According to my uncle the whole bill was less than the deductible she would have had to pay had she been treated for the same thing in a Miami hospital. My uncle was surprised and gratified that the costs were so very reasonable in Spain.

#39243 - 08/17/04 11:27 PM Re: Medical travel insurance: necessary?
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Check with your domestic insurance provider. Mine covers me abroad, albeit with reimbursements not direct payments. A good reason to carry several high-limit credit cards.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments