Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#37997 - 05/10/02 01:29 PM Safety in Sevilla's Santa Cruz area
Xacara Offline

How safe is it to walk around the narrow streets of Sevilla's Santa Cruz area at night? Okay for solo traveler (who's probably staying in a hostal there)?

Kindly advise!

#37998 - 05/10/02 03:49 PM Re: Safety in Sevilla's Santa Cruz area
Guapetona Offline

Please do not worry. Sevilla in general is very safe, clean and tourist-oriented. El barrio Santa Cruz is very safe in particular. It is the ancient quarter and is replete with history. It is well taken care of and full of tourists. It is also a very chic neighborhood with the highest rents and property value in Sevilla city.

There is the occasional gypsy who will try to persuade you to give them coins in exchange for a flower or rosemary. They are congregated mostly around the Giralda cathedral.Ignore them and keep on walking. Remember that guns are illegal in Spain (as in the rest of europe) and violent crimes are still virtually unheard of.
I feel by far safer walking through urban areas in Spain than those in North America.

The only neighborhood that may be dangerous is tres mil viviendas. Even so, I would rather walk through here in the dead of night than walk through the projects in NYC or Chicago in plain daylight. This is low-income property built by the government. It is on the ourskirts and I really doubt you will see or even hear of it during your stay. Mostly gypsies or immigrants live here as the rent is next to nothing.
Sevilla is veeeery safe! Have a beautiful time!!! laugh laugh laugh

#37999 - 05/10/02 06:51 PM Re: Safety in Sevilla's Santa Cruz area
Meg Offline

Loc: Madrid via Pennsylvania
When I studied in Sevilla I lived with a family in the Santa Cruz neighborhood and felt very safe. I often walked home alone at all hours of the night and never had any problems. However, if you are female be prepared for some unwelcome attention from men there. I have been to many cities in Spain and found that Sevilla is the worst for this. Often men will stop what they're doing and blatantly stare at American women, they also will hiss at you (sort of like whistling at someone here) and occasionaly they will start saying very sexually explicit things in Spanish or English. It can get very annoying but I never felt unsafe--just ignore them and you'll be fine. Enjoy Sevilla, it's beautiful place!

#38000 - 05/13/02 01:49 PM Re: Safety in Sevilla's Santa Cruz area
Xacara Offline

Gracias to both of you for your reassuring response! I look forward to Sevilla!

Xacara

#38001 - 05/17/02 11:47 PM Re: Safety in Sevilla's Santa Cruz area
WB Offline

Loc: Philadelphia
Normally Santa Cruz is one of the safest areas. Just don't walk around by yourself near the Alameda de Hercules or in the Macarena neighborhood at night.

Try to stay near people and lights.

Winston

Have fun!! I will be in Sevilla at the same time you'll be there.

#38002 - 05/20/02 11:00 AM Re: Safety in Sevilla's Santa Cruz area
rainspooner Offline

Loc: Phoenix
I think it's "safe" as well.

I was there a week ago and had the pleasure of getting lost the Barrio late one night. It was kind of fun!

We walked past some guys who were hunched in a corner injecting some kind of drugs into themselves. We just kept walking and didn't stare or make eye contact.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments