Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#12160 - 01/24/02 08:21 AM Madrid/Spain around Easter?
Papalou Offline

I know Seville is crazy the week of Easter, but how about Madrid? If we are in Madrid on Easter Sunday, will everything be closed, will it be crowded, will public transportation be a problem?

My wife and I are thinking about a trip either 3/22-3/31 or 3/29-4/7. We want to hit Madrid, Seville & Costa Del Sol area. The big question is how would Easter week effect our trip.

So, if you had your choice, would you be in Spain over Easter week or the week after. We speak very little Spanish and we aren't seasoned travelers.

Are we asking for problems and huge crowds traveling on 3/22-3/31?

Any help????

later
Papalou

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: Papalou ]

#12161 - 01/24/02 09:48 AM Re: Madrid/Spain around Easter?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Papalou writes:
Quote:
... how about Madrid? If we are in Madrid on Easter Sunday, will everything be closed, will it be crowded, will public transportation be a problem?

So, if you had your choice, would you be in Spain over Easter week or the week after. We speak very little Spanish and we aren't seasoned travelers.

Are we asking for problems and huge crowds traveling on 3/22-3/31?

Everything will not be closed Easter Sunday. Most restaurants will be open and public transportation will be on a regular Sunday schedule. But I think it would be a mistake to opt for your latter proposed dates. eek
We travelled to Spain several times for Holy Week (Semana Santa), the week before Easter Sunday, because that's when Phila schools usually have their Spring break. Once, when we went to Alicante (Playa Campello) during that week the trains were very crowded. It seems that many Madrileños take the week off and spend it at the mountains or the shore. Friday is a holiday for Government and most Office workers; but most shops are open, at least until midday.
Not much happens Easter week (what I call the week beginning with Easter Sunday). For many, Monday is also a holiday.
When we day-tripped to Sevilla from Madrid for Friday of Holy Week, we had no problem buying reservations/tickets on AVE one day in advance. rolleyes
If I had my choice, I would be in Spain for Semana Santa. You're going all that distance: schedule your trip to take advantage of all the colorful Processions. I was 65 years old the last time I was in Sevilla for Semana Santa. eek
P.S.
If you ride Renfe (trains) you will probably use Talgo or AVE. Both are all-reserved.

#12162 - 01/24/02 03:18 PM Re: Madrid/Spain around Easter?
zero262quick Offline

Loc: Eastern Shore of Maryland
Papalou,

Hello and welcome to the board. Since my favorite job on this forum is airfare, I have some recommendations. However, if you already have your tickets, disregard this entire message.

If you are flying into Madrid, the cheapest time to fly is on a Tuesday or Thursday. So try to book then. Do you have tickets yet? If not, I can find you some deals to Madrid for your planned trip. Let me know your plans and I'll do the best I can.

Have fun and enjoy your trip!
Ben
pbchamp@intercom.net
I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.
- Thomas Watson (1874-1956), Chairman of IBM, 1943

"The more I meet new people, the more I like my dog."

Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead.
- Scottish Proverb

#12163 - 01/24/02 05:26 PM Re: Madrid/Spain around Easter?
Guapetona Offline

Just a little tip..AVE has been packed lately. It might be better to reserve your seats.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments