Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#6481 - 02/08/04 11:26 PM Madrid: Help! hostel/hotels near Atocha ,Chamartin?
JoanaD Offline

I'm on my way to either Salamanca or Cordoba (haven't decided which), to study for a week this March. I want to spend one or two nights in Madrid. Does anyone have a few names of safe, clean places to stay very near Atocha or Chamartin stations?

Thanks,

Joana joanied33@yahoo.com

#6482 - 02/10/04 01:05 AM Re: Madrid: Help! hostel/hotels near Atocha ,Chamartin?
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I like to stay at Hostal Chelo . It is near the Gran Via metro which easily connects you to the trains.

#6483 - 02/10/04 06:20 AM Re: Madrid: Help! hostel/hotels near Atocha ,Chamartin?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi JoanieD! Welcome to our little message board.

Sel's recommendation is a good one. There are no hostels near either Atocha nor Chamartín train stations which have websites. There are a number of hostels (called "hostales" in Spanish) around Atocha train station, however, but I've yet to read a review of them. I don't believe there are any hostels around Chamartín - only higher-priced hotels since this is considered a business district.

I'd recommend what Sel has recommended and stay in the old center of Madrid and take the metro to your train station destination. You'll find MANY MANY hotels and hostels in Madrid reviewed here. Just do a search or browse the previous month's postings. There are LOTS of them. Good luck and enjoy your time in Spain!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#6484 - 02/11/04 09:32 PM Re: Madrid: Help! hostel/hotels near Atocha ,Chamartin?
JoanaD Offline

Thanks Sel and MM!!

I'll check out Chelo and some others... Only thing is that I'm a woman traveling alone and was told by my six foot tall Spanish tutor from Valladolid to avoid the Metro with luggage. He was just recently targetted and successfully deprived of his wallet because he was carrying luggage... I myself have never been pickpocketed on the Metro... only once in Alicante..
If I decide try an hostale near Atocha station I'll let you know how it was..

Thanks again!

Joana

#6485 - 02/11/04 10:25 PM Re: Madrid: Help! hostel/hotels near Atocha ,Chamartin?
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I am also a wome¡an traveling alone and understand that the rules change when you are not in a group. I have found Hostal Chelo to work well and I have not had problems YET on the metro. I am very cautious to the point of not even carrying a wallet or a purse most of the time. I have found that the luggage helps me to maintain my space. Atocha and Gran Vía are on the same route which is great and makes the move simple. From the bus station you have to make one change. I try to travel light although my bag is always heavier by the end of each trip!! laugh laugh I love books and ceramics and just cannot resist buying something each visit!! Good luck in your search.

I leave in the morning for Spain and am hoping to enjoy some pleasant weather!!

#6486 - 02/18/04 04:40 PM Re: Madrid: Help! hostel/hotels near Atocha ,Chamartin?
SFY Offline

Loc: Filadelfia
Well, there is at least one hostal right near the Atocha train station that has a website:
Hostal Barrera
and a review here:
http://www.madridman.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=001611

As you can tell, I highly recommend it. smile

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments