Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#5900 - 07/14/03 09:23 AM 1st Time in Madrid
FREDDHELLO Offline

Loc: UK
Hi,

I plan to visit family staying in alicante but i wanted to fly in to madrid and stay there for a couple of days with my girlfriend.

I have never been to Madrid before and do not know what to expect.

We would like to stay somewhere that is not too gruby yet has to be cheap. Somewhere where we could go and get a meal, then off for some drinks and a little party, be it walking or via the metro.

Could you give me some advice - where to stay , where to go etc...

Thank you.

#5901 - 07/14/03 10:43 AM Re: 1st Time in Madrid
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
Hi Fred,

I see that you only registered today on this site, and though I feel there are much better people on this bulletin board to welcome you, especially the Madridman, I welcome you to this bulletin board. I lived in Madrid from 1977 until 1980 and have been back there three times, 1994, 1998 and last October 2002. Madrid will be able to provide all of the criteria you've posted.
First of all, you will find on the Madridman's website, many Hostels and many reviews of Hostels. These are small family run hotels that generally cost about $40, 35-40 Euros. A hostel is generally a small room in a big building. I find them comfortable enough for the few hours I spend in a hotel room while visiting Madrid.
Anywhere in Madrid you can get a good meal and go out partying until the wee hours stumbling from Bar-Cerveceria to Bar-Cerveceria. But I suppose the best areas are around Puerto del Sol and/or Gran Via which are close to each other.
A word of caution though. During my last visit, last October, I found Madrid changing quite a bit. Scam artist and pickpockets saturate Madrid. There's still a good chance that you will not be a victim, but heads up.
I really hope you enjoy your first trip to Madrid.

#5902 - 07/14/03 11:22 AM Re: 1st Time in Madrid
FREDDHELLO Offline

Loc: UK
Thanks for the reply,I will look into those areas.

any more help would be appreciated.

#5903 - 07/19/03 09:40 PM Re: 1st Time in Madrid
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I have stayed at Hostal Chelo and found it to be quite nice. I chose to stay in the smaller places because they are usually more friendly.

Antonio often gives folks help and you can find a great deal of information about his family's hostel on this site.

Ibi is a fun little town near Alicante if you have time!!!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 952 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments