Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#5685 - 05/07/03 11:42 AM Place to stay right on beach?
TCUTracy Offline

Loc: Paris and texas
I am traveling in Spain with a friend (we are two girls in our early 20's) and while she can only go for a week, I can go for 2. We are planning on hitting Madrid, Sevilla, and Granada together and then when we split up, I wanted some "beach time. So here is my question:

I really don't have a preference of a certain beach or even a city (maybe somewhere between Almeria and Barcelona, I know it is a big area rolleyes ) because from what I have heard, it all is beautiful. The only things I want are a pretty beach, an inexpensive room (hopefully less than 20€ a night) that is right on or very near to the beach (so me and my flip flops can walk there in my towel) and if possible a kitchen or something where I can cook food...this way I can avoid the pick-up lines that accompany a single woman eating alone in a restaurant. wink I have searched and searched and think that since I will be a week, maybe I could get an apartment or something, but these seem to be expensive confused .

I would love any advice because currently I live in Paris with no beaches and I will shortly be returning to Houston (Texas) and the Gulf of Mexico beaches, so any beach is better than what I am used to...So if you have visited a tiny city somewhere around there or can actually suggest a place to stay, my tan will thank you. cool

#5686 - 05/11/03 09:50 AM Re: Place to stay right on beach?
kk49827 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Try Alicante Tracy.
It's a great beach town.
Being from Texas myself, I know what you mean when you say any beach will do.

I had some friends that found a hostal there they said was nice and cheap. Unfortunately, I dont' know the name. I can try to get it for you if you want, just let me know.

Alicante is a great city that has everything you want in it. There's a beach right in the city, and there are more you can take a bus to if you'd like a more secluded region.

Either way, good luck.

#5687 - 05/11/03 11:30 AM Re: Place to stay right on beach?
edel Offline

Loc: Almeria/Dublin
Hey
The best beaches have to be in Almeria, you can get the bus from Granada right to Mojacar and it only takes 2 hours you will find prices and times on www.alsa.es Mojacar is a small tourist resort,that is sourounded by a nature reserve. I'm not to sure about the prices of apartments etc but i do no that the campsite on the beach is great and cheap. you will find info anout this area on www.mojacar.co.uk or www.mojacaronline.com.

it is a beautfuil area witha beautiful old town which is set in the mountains if you bored just at the beach its only anout five minutes on the bus. The food and drink is cheap and there is a great mix of spanish english irish americans etc etc. just post a reply if you need more info. ive spent every summer and xmas in mojacar since i was 12 and this is my thrid season to work out there so there must be some thing right about the area.

have fun

e

#5688 - 05/11/03 06:33 PM Re: Place to stay right on beach?
juli Offline

Loc: Tarragona
I'm on the Costa Daurada in Tarragona, there are some delightful beaches up here, both near and just outside of the city via local busses. The sand is fine and the water is a diff shade of blue/green every time you look at it. Enchanting!

I have heard good reviews about a place called Castillon just north of Valencia , but I have never been there. However, just south of Valencia is a little town called Playa Piles or sth like that. I stayed there once in a AYH hostel that was literally stumbling distance from the beach. THe town isn't very exciting, though, it's small!!

Hope this helps,

Jillita

#5689 - 05/12/03 05:38 AM Re: Place to stay right on beach?
mick nick Offline

Loc: wakefield , w.yorks
Try Villajoiosa - a lovely little resort between Alicante and Benidorm. We have had some nice family holidays there. Lovely beach, quiet town on a night with few tourists likely to try picking you up ( though Im sure you're very attractive!)Have a look at www.spanish-holiday-rentals.com. We have stayed in a couple of this guy's places and they are just fine. If you like the look of some of the smaller apartments and they are vacant for the time you plan to travel, just make him an offer - worked for us!

#5690 - 05/12/03 07:38 AM Re: Place to stay right on beach?
TCUTracy Offline

Loc: Paris and texas
Thanks for the advice! I don't think I will get bored by hanging out on a wonderful beach (plus it saves a lot of money rather than being a tourist!) but I don't really know of much else to do. Does everyone think the beaches are safe, and since I am going late May to early June, I am assuming that I can swim and not freeze like an ice cube...

#5691 - 05/12/03 08:39 AM Re: Place to stay right on beach?
mick nick Offline

Loc: wakefield , w.yorks
Can only speak for Joiosa and La Mata, but both beaches are clean, large and free from peddlers trying to sell you things. The sea should be fine, but I speak as someone who used to go in the North Sea off the Yorkshire Riviera as a kid when the rule was-If you dont get frostbite, it's warm enough.

#5692 - 05/12/03 03:54 PM Re: Place to stay right on beach?
edel Offline

Loc: Almeria/Dublin
you wont freeze in almeria my friends were out there 3 weeks ago and it was 29 degrees everyday if your thinking of going to almeria give me a shout

#5693 - 06/02/03 12:35 PM Re: Place to stay right on beach?
Nerja Spain Offline

Loc: Nerja, Spain
Hi,

If you want to go a little south, Nerja is a great place to be. The only problem is that summer is for tourists and prices go up 30% or more then. You might be able to find hostels for 40 euro. Check out www.guideofnerja.com . I came from NYC a year ago and now live in paradise!!! Good luck with the search!

J

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments