Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#3286 - 01/01/02 03:23 PM Our Great Hotels--Madrid and Seville
lowell Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I want to share our very good hotel experiences over the holidays. We stayed at the Gran Via 65 Apartments in Madrid-a one bedroom apt. It was small, but it was very attractive and nicely decorated--a unique style that was a reminder that we were in Spain. The area was convenient to metro, Plaza de Espania, and Principe Pio with a number of reasonably good restaurants around, although there are other areas which I think are more interesting/attractive and would consider for the future--Opera area, near Plaza Major, and Sol. We took a day trip to Segovia--wonderful town--in planning our trip we had considered staying overnite at the Infanta Isabel . It looked very attractive and a nice location on the Plaza Mayor. I'd definitely consider staying there if I returned.
In Seville we stayed at the Apartamentos Murillo . We had a 2 bdrm apt on the top (3rd floor)--rooms were basic, could even say somewhat run down--but unique and charming in their own way--at least we could tell we were in Spain and not in a Howard Johnson's somewhere. but plenty of room--also a bed/couch in the living room so apt. could sleep 5 which my daughter took advantage of to get away from her teenage brother who used one of bedrooms--at a $110/nite we were more than satisfied!! The lobby and halls were attractive and the location couldn't be beat! It is in some of the most attractive (very narrow) streets of the Barrio, near the Plaza Santa Cruz and outlet from the Barria to the Murrillo gardens and C. Mendoza, only steps outside to some very good restaurants, and only a few more steps to the Alcazar, Giralda and associated plazas! I had wanted to stay at the Casas de la Juderia (highly touted in guidebooks), but it was booked when we made travel plans. I walked over to it near the Pl. Sta. Maria la Blanca area--I found this area to be less attractive and more rundown than near the Murillo--also lots of construction going on--noise, dumpsters, construction vehicles and only a half block away from a very busy, shabby commercial street to the east. The lobby and courtyards of the Casas looked tired and almost rundown to me (didn't see the rooms, perhaps they are very nice). Had we stayed there, I would have been disappointed re. the location and appearance, especially considering the much higher price!
Back again in Madrid we stayed at the NH Nacional on Paseo del Prado--convenient to Atocha, metro, and Prado. Our 2 rooms were modern and wonderful--what I'd imagine a Spanish hotel room should look like--a Picasso type modern design--modern furniture in ochres, ambers, wood floors of red and varied colors, balcony with automatic shutters, refrigerator, electric tea/coffee set--for $80/room/nite (I think a similar room in Paris or New York would be $150+). It seems the price decreased recently, maybe after sept 11. ALL of our rooms in all 3 hotels were VERY clean. Even tho the rooms in the Murrillo and National were smoking rooms, there was not a HINT of smoke smell in the rooms, blankets or pillows (better than I can say for some non-smoking rooms in US chains!!) Also the staff in all 3 places were helpful and polite. We were so happy with our choices--we enjoyed everything about them and they helped make our trip a great one!

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#3287 - 01/01/02 10:35 PM Re: Our Great Hotels--Madrid and Seville
JJP Offline

Loc: ca.eeuu
We also had a possitive experience with hotel:

NH Nacional **** on Paseo del Prado.

Perfectly located in what their website calls the "museum triangle." Atocha and the Metro system is just around the corner (along with El Brillante - MM's Spanish point). The Retiro and all major museums are withing 5 - 10 minute walk!

The drawback? Rooms are a tad bit small (and the complaint came a European wedding guest). But for €69,12 a night the very stylish rooms (!!) with bathrobes, vanity kit, and view of Jardin Botanico was a great value.

I guess the summer prices reach €200 a night, but if you're going in the winter check out this little gem. For those living in the States, it felt like a "W" hotel - a sleek, contemporary environment. In my opinion it had the Palace and Rit'z great location with smaller, smart, and well priced rooms. El Pais in English, along with all Spanish dailies were available free each day.

>>> Well if you can stand the room size, you also get one of the liveliest areas of Madrileño night-life only five minutes walk towards the dead-center of the city.

>>> Plus, and this may have already been written about elsewhere: At the bottom of the Hotel Mora on Paseo del Prado (directly accross from the Prado) the "Munu-of-the-Day" was only 1200P, was jam-packed, EXCELLENT food, and many good choices.

We found it, stumbled in and realized many patrons were over fifty, sixty years old. There was also a mixture of younger generations. We figured if it was packed with seasoned Madrileños, and a very good price value, it must be good. Fortunately, our intuition was good - great food. The Spaniards with us were also impressed!

... ... ...
All in all, a great location and value the NH Nacional is.

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: JJP ]

#3288 - 01/05/02 01:09 PM Re: Our Great Hotels--Madrid and Seville
GG2 Offline

Loc: Maine USA
Lowell - Thanks for your comments about the Apartamentos Murillo. We have reservations there for four nights in March. We'll arrive by train and take a taxi to the apartment, and I'm curious to know how close you can get to the apartment by car if it's in a pedestrian street. Also you mentioned your apartment was on the 3rd floor. Is there a lift? We're really looking forward to visiting Seville. Any recommendations for restaurants or general sightseeing would be greatly appreciated.

#3289 - 01/05/02 03:31 PM Re: Our Great Hotels--Madrid and Seville
lowell Offline

The street of Murillo apts, C. Reinosa is too narrow for vehicles. Coming from the train station, the taxi let us out at the Plaza de Santa Cruz which is about a block away (we had roller suitcases so no problem), but it helps to have a map ahead of time. When we left the hotel for the station, the hotel man called a cab and it came down a very narrow pedestrian street just a few steps away from the hotel, turned around in the Plaza de Venerables and took us out!--a rather neat experience. There is no lift, but thats part of the fun. The apartmentos are steps away from the Plaza de Venerables an there are several good restarants right there. See my post in the message board restaurant section. I hope you enjoy Seville as much as we did. Its the most beautiful city I've ever seen.

#3290 - 01/06/02 01:56 PM Re: Our Great Hotels--Madrid and Seville
GG2 Offline

Thanks, Lowell. One more question - Is there a reception or someone at the apartments to handle check-in/check-out, or is that done at the hotel prior to going to the apartment?

#3291 - 01/06/02 02:38 PM Re: Our Great Hotels--Madrid and Seville
lowell Offline

The apartments have a desk clerk just like a hotel. Except after 11:30 at nite, desk of the apartments closes and they take the keys of those still out down to the hotel where the apt. renters can get them. The hotel is only a short half block away.

#3292 - 01/07/02 09:27 PM Re: Our Great Hotels--Madrid and Seville
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
Regarding Las Casas de la Juderia, I stayed there in October and it was one of the nicest hotels we stayed at during our 17 day visit to Spain. The service was excellent, the fountains and greenery were beautiful and the room was the best of the trip. We had a large living room along with separate sleeping quarters and a bathroom to die for. Although we were right in the Juderia, it was very quiet and every morning we woke up to the smell of jasmine. It is not right in the middle of the nightlife/tapas scene of the Juderia but a quick five minute walk. I would definately recommend it.

I also stayed at the Hotel Infanta Isabel in Segovia. It was another winner. I had requested a room overlooking the Plaza Mayor with a cathedral view and was delighted to get my wishes granted. The reception desk staff was very friendly and service was exceptional. It had a real victorian charm. The restaurant was under renovation when we were there but there were all kinds of other choices nearby. The price was very reasonable also - abt 55 USD if I recall.

#3293 - 01/09/02 12:10 AM Re: Our Great Hotels--Madrid and Seville
ToniG Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
I have to second Cathy's impression of Las Casas de la Juderia in Sevilla. We too, were in Sevilla last October and had a wonderful experience. Very quiet, tidy rooms with lots of extra touches. The courtyard was lovely and in the evening a young gentleman played the piano in the sitting room. It was a bit pricy ($140 US) but for the location and luxury a good value.

#3294 - 03/28/02 01:36 PM Re: Our Great Hotels--Madrid and Seville
GG2 Offline

I just posted a new topic on the Apartamentos Murillo in Sevilla, but wanted to come here to thank Lowell for his help with our decision to stay in the apartments. I think the generous participants who share information on this board make it an indispensable site for people planning travel to Spain. Muchas gracias!

#3295 - 04/04/02 08:06 PM Re: Our Great Hotels--Madrid and Seville
Peach Offline

Loc: Texas
The apartments Lowell mentioned in Madrid sound and look great on the website. However, the website does not allow you to get rates or make reservations. Can anyone, perhaps Lowell since he stayed ther, tell me how to make a reservation at Los Jeronimos Apartmentes in Madrid? I am leaving next week for 24 days in Spain!! and need a place for our last night before we fly out. Any help is appreciated.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 810 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments