Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#87464 - 05/26/10 11:49 AM Hostal reservation policy
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
I am planning a trip to Spain next year for Holy Week. I'd like to spend part of the time in Sevilla. I found a nice hostal there, but when I contacted them, I was told that their cancellation policy is this: 50% charge up till the week before. 100% to cancel that week. I can understand penalties for cancelling close to the time, but my plans at the moment are not certain, so I don't want to make a reservation that I might have to alter or change. Has anyone else heard of this policy? The other thing is, this hostal wants me to send my credit card number via e-mail. How can they charge the card with having the card and the other information usually required? (the last hostal I stayed at also asked for my credit card info, which I gave, but during the time of booking and actually staying there, my credit card number changed, so if they had tried to charge it, it wouldn't have gone through)

Sorry if this is getting too long. I'm just wanting to know what other people have found with booking/cancellation policies at hostals in Spain.Thanks!

#87502 - 05/31/10 04:54 PM Re: Hostal reservation policy [Re: teachertraveler8]
Donna Cuervo Offline

Loc: New York, NY
I remember losing some money on a cancellation at the Hostal Maestranza in Seville at one time, but it wasn't anything crazy like you're describing.

Considering your flexible plans you should probably shop around for someplace that you can cancel up to the last day. Perhaps a regular hotel would be a better choice in this situation.

Most hostales are family owned and have only a small number of rooms. Many are probably thinly capitalized, so losing a customer and being left holding the bag with an empty room during high season is a very frustrating financial loss to them.

Looking back at your message and seeing your proposed stay is during Holy Week makes me believe that this draconian cancellation penalty may be only in place during Holy Week and the Feria when they really make their money and want to be sure every room is rented at very high rates. For Holy Week, you may run into this sort of thing at a lot of places.

#87507 - 06/01/10 04:58 PM Re: Hostal reservation policy [Re: Donna Cuervo]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
its normal to ask for booking with a credit card, reliable places will not charge you until arrival. The card is to guarantee them you will be there or pay cancellation fees. The policy can change a bit from one property to the other but normally is you booked with cc first as guarantee of lodging.
In Sevilla, no experience with hostales, the one I book is Hotel Casas de la Juderia
hope it helps

#87512 - 06/02/10 04:30 PM Re: Hostal reservation policy [Re: pedmar]
Jan D Offline

Loc: Isle of Wight UK
I've got some hotel bookings for Barcelona ( and also for Belgium)later this year. with most of them to get a better deal, I've taken a saver rate which means I've paid some money or all of it up front.
My advice would be to leave making your booking till your plans are set in stone, but then of course, if its peak weeks, you may not find decent accommodation available.
FWIW in our business,(in common with other similar small establishments) we charge a non refundable deposit.
Yes, you can charge a card without actually having it front of you. You just need, Long number, expiry date and cvc code.
If you are going to send details by email, then split the card deatils over 2 emails
() / ()

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments