Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#7358 - 08/30/04 03:56 PM Spain hotels - to reserve or not
sandyb42 Offline

Loc: USA
Planning for our trip to Spain, May 2005. We have considered the possibility of booking hotels ahead only in Madrid and Barcelona. For the rest of the trip we would find accomodations as we go. In addition to MAD and BCN we will likely be overnighting in Avila, Salamanca, Segovia, Seville, Granada, white towns. Is this feasible?? Thanks in advance for any suggestions or hints.

Sandyb

#7359 - 09/22/04 02:53 AM Re: Spain hotels - to reserve or not
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
In May you may still be able to go "seat of your pants" when it comes to reservations. Things don't necessarily kick in until late June-early July. I've been able to find accomodation, even in Segovia, last minute at decent hotels.

I do suggest that you have fixed reservations at your gateway enter-exit cities, and if you're interested in prime locations, that you do what you've apparently already decided: Book ahead in MAD/BCN.

Realize [by researching the cities by name on this site!] the touristy nature of your cities of choice. The only one that shouldn't give you any trouble is Avila, although you may find that fewer lodgings period may translate into possible headaches.

We booked ahead a few years ago in Granada and found lots of availability, staying at the Generalife inside the gardens [recommended] of the Alhambra. Salamanca may work well in May, but check the school calendar...lots of summer school offerings to americanos...

Personally, I like "seat of your pants" reservations. Speaking the language, it allows you to go and find hidden gems [and hidden disasters that make for good campfire stories] to talk about.

Best of luck!

#7360 - 09/22/04 06:07 AM Re: Spain hotels - to reserve or not
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Sandyb42 writes:
Quote:
... May 2005. We have considered the possibility of booking hotels ahead only in Madrid and Barcelona. For the rest of the trip we would find accomodations as we go. ... overnighting in Avila, Salamanca, Segovia, Seville, Granada, white towns. ... Thanks in advance for any suggestions or hints.
I agree with CaliBasco; however I think it's good to have a list of hostals or hotels (in your price range) for each city where you are likely to overnight. That way you can 'let your fingers do the walking' (i.e., phone ahead on arrival for availability, price and directions}. Once you have a place booked you're free to spend the rest of the day touring.

#7361 - 09/29/04 12:09 PM Re: Spain hotels - to reserve or not
erikab Offline

hi,

it should be ok because may is not too busy. yet, you have to know that in spain, there are very good web sites in which you can book in advance cheap accomodation to get around. It is highly recommendable since, most of the times, hotels give a higher price than these tour operators.

careful. salamanca or burgos are always extremely busy so definitely book in advance!!!!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 952 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments