Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#4730 - 10/13/02 11:39 AM Madrid:Wed.Under $80 near PdS??!!
suzn Offline

I am not able to find lodging under $80 a night in Madrid beginning Oct 16th near Puerto del Sol! Any ideas? Clean/safe/friendly.....

Sorry- I just noticed I first posted in PACKING- and have no responses! Help!

I will be in Spain for 3 months traveling and learning about spice production, people, culture. cooking, customs etc. I arrive in Madrid and plan on staying in Madrid for 2 weeks beginning Oct 16, 2002. Where is a clean, well located place to stay while in Madrid that is centrally located near Puerto del Sol? Where is the best area for seeing the sites? restaurants?

Does anyone know about a Saffron Festival where/when?

Does anyone have ideas on where to visit where to stay in Spain who to contact to learn about how spices are cultivated, produced, grown, used...etc? I would like to stay in small apts or with families

#4731 - 10/13/02 01:09 PM Re: Madrid:Wed.Under $80 near PdS??!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Wow! That's short notice. No wonder you're having problems. I already know that Hostal López is full this week. Which others have you tried so we don't repeat them? Are you looking for a single room or double? One person or two?

Most all hostels & hotels which have websites are within walking distance of Puerta del Sol. Does it have to be VERY near?

Hotels very near the Puerta del Sol would include Hotel Europa , Hotel Plaza Mayor , maybe Hotel Asturias , maybe Hotel Opera . Have you checked the list of hotels on MadridMan\'s Madrid Hotels yet?

Please check MadridMan\'s Madrid Hostels for other ideas but some hostels (called "hostales" in Spanish - these are budget hotels NOT youth-hostels which are called "albergues juveniles" in Spain) would include Hostal Aresol , Hostal Oporto , Hostal Las Fuentes , and maybe Hostal Marlasca to name only a few.

I know that Aparta Sol Apartments are near the Puerta del Sol and the apartments in Huespedes Jaén a a short walk away too.
Quote:
Does anyone know about a Saffron Festival where/when? Does anyone have ideas on where to visit where to stay in Spain who to contact to learn about how spices are cultivated, produced, grown, used...etc?
I've just transferred your " Learning about Spices in Spain " query to the "About Spain" forum. Hope someone can give you some ideas! smile Good luck and have a GREAT time in Madrid and Spain!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#4732 - 10/13/02 05:02 PM Re: Madrid:Wed.Under $80 near PdS??!!
suzn Offline

Thank you for your response. I have been online all day! My fingers are tired!!! How is Hostal Lorenzo? Adriano, Principado, Marlasca are filled. Trying Dulcinea Carrera, Tijcal and Horizonte..... no response yet. Are any of these wonderful or awful? I am a single female student looking for a clean/safe/well located/ near Puerta del Sol? / place to stay - this week - Ouch. Paris Hotel may be available- I am finding expensive/not well located/or no room at the inn but still checking. Thanks!

#4733 - 10/13/02 06:13 PM Re: Madrid:Wed.Under $80 near PdS??!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I've read good things about Hostal Dulcinea (their website is STILL down), TIJCAL , & Horizonte and have stayed at Dulcinea so I can personally recommend it. TIJCAL and Horizonte are both closer to SOL than Dulcinea but I like Huertas, the zone in which Dulcinea is located. You'll find many postings of feedback about all these and others by using the SEARCH link above right.

Good luck! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#4734 - 10/14/02 05:47 AM Re: Madrid:Wed.Under $80 near PdS??!!
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I have stayed at TIJCAL and have recommended it numerous times both on this site as well as to friends. Highly recommend it, I believe their rates are under $80 a night. Very close to Puerta del Sol (2 mins walking) and just off the Plaza Mayor.

#4735 - 10/14/02 04:32 PM Re: Madrid:Wed.Under $80 near PdS??!!
Lipstique Offline

Loc: Wichita, Kansas
I haven't stayed there yet, but I do have a reservation at the Hostal Adriano which is 1/2 way between the Puerta del Sol and Plaza Major, about 1 block deep from both. The owner Alberto DiStefano, speaks fluent English, and has been most helpful with many of my questions. The rate is 48 Euro/night through 2002, and 50 Euro per night in 2003.

#4736 - 10/15/02 09:20 AM Re: Madrid:Wed.Under $80 near PdS??!!
suzn Offline

Thank you EVERYONE - your help/support and tips helped me land a reseration (with many many no vacancies). I am amazed that Madrid is fully booked in October - not a holiday and school is in session. My email box is loaded with all kinds of Sorry, No Room Available rejections! I found a place at TIJCAL -and Antonio (the owner)is very nice and helpful as far as reservations/quick response/and caring. Now, it is best to hire aerotaxi or take a train from the airport to the hostal? Any ideas of how to learn Spanish while I am there? (10 days) Thanks so much!

#4737 - 10/15/02 04:21 PM Re: Madrid:Wed.Under $80 near PdS??!!
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Just start speaking. I went to Madrid three years ago not knowing any Spanish, and in seven days I learned Spanish. Now I teach it. rolleyes

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments