I've been in Madrid almost 6 years and have decided that it's time to go to back to England , to find work and get my feet on the ground again .
My time here in Madrid has been wonderful and i've had the honour of meeting many good friends from all over the world , including the host of this website .
The people of Madrid are great , sometimes in your face , but they are direct and I like that . The food needless to say is wonderful and the wine is excellent . I´m pleased to say we have access to good Spanish wine in England .
But with unemployment at 20% it's amost impossible to find a job ( Apart from teachng English ) . So I had to make the decision to leave .
After 6 years I´ve accumulated a lot of things . Not big furniture ( A bed but the owner of my apartment will be agreeing a price to buy it ) .. The main things are DVDs (100s) Books (100s) , Cds(100s ) , clothes a whole double wardrobe full , and ornaments ( maybe 2 shopping bags ) .Various kitchen appliances and pots and pans .
I called a very reputable company in England called Pickfords .. they have a worldwide network and their allies here in Madrid are a company called Allied Bolliger . They´re based in Sierra de la Guadarrama .
A guy came to my apartment and was very professional . Miguel looked around , I told him what had to be moved and the next day I had an estimate via e-mail .
I chose the cheap option which is to have my things transported with other people´s . It's called the " shared option " . Cheap is a relative word ! This move has cost me approximately €900 and the insurance will be an extra € 200 ... this is the cheap option !
The service is door to door so that is , in some respects peace of mind . Once they take everything away I´ll be living out of a suitcase for a week .
Flights are cheap .
Sad to be leaving Madrid and my friends but " cosas de la Vida " Steve