Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#59702 - 03/01/01 08:02 AM we're moving to Madrid!
kbc123 Offline

Loc: Barcelona, Spain
Hi, My husband and I (Americans) are moving to Madrid in August/September. We've been living in Barcelona for two years while he's been attending an MBA program. Well, looks like he's gotten a job at a Spanish consulting firm.

I'm pregnant and due at the end of July, and we'll move to Madrid when we're able to travel afterwards (my doc here says 40 days, we may try to do it a little sooner).

Any advice on what neighborhoods to live in that would be comfortable for a small family (baby will be our first, but we also have two American cats with us!). We prefer a neighborhood with some green in it, I've heard Salamanca neighborhood is nice? DH will be working near metro station Serrano.

Also, if you know about what it might cost...in Barcelona we're paying 100,000 for a small two bedroom modern fully furnished apt in a good neighborhood, and will be looking for something a little bigger, preferably with terrace and air conditioning!

Is there a forum to exchange info on living in Madrid, for expats or otherwise?

And any other sources for more info would be appreciated!
Gracias!

#59703 - 03/01/01 09:31 AM Re: we're moving to Madrid!
canadiense Offline

Loc: Magstadt, GERMANY
Hi kbc, I can't help but be curious.

Did your husband complete his MBA at the University of Navarra? If he did, I would really like to know what his experience was like there. I would love to complete my MBA there, and I am planning on visiting the campus when I go over to visit in July.

If he did go to Navarra, do you think he would be interested in answering a few questions for me?

Gracias.

#59704 - 03/01/01 10:04 AM Re: we're moving to Madrid!
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Enhorabuena! What an exciting summer you have coming up!

Salamanca is a very nice neighborhood, but not as green as some others. With a new baby you'll want to take daily walks to the park, along with the other new parents. It's a great way to meet people. I would suggest you get a map of Madrid and look for any green areas north, northeast, and northwest of the center. Try to find a place close to a park. Some areas to check would be Retiro, Parque Oeste, the Arturo Soria area (same metro line as Serrano), the areas around metros Pio XII, Colombia, Concha Espina. Farther north - try the newer areas of Barrio del Pilar, or even Mirasierra, which has beautiful apartment buildings in the back, with clear views of the mountains, and little "city" feel.

As far as the prices of rents go, I'd check Segundamano, either on the web ( www.segundamano.es ), or, if you can get a Madrid issue in Barcelona, on paper. The website is nice because you can see photos of the pisos. Unfortunately, the closer you get to a park, the higher the prices go! I'm afraid I've recommended some of the most expensive areas of Madrid. But even if you're 5 or 10 minutes away from a park, it's worth it.

I saw a forum just yesterday at www.expataccess.com , checking a link someone here had recommended. It may be just what you're looking for.

Good luck!

#59705 - 03/02/01 01:30 PM Re: we're moving to Madrid!
kbc123 Offline

Loc: Barcelona, Spain
Thanks Diana, for your suggestions!

Yes, canadiense, my husband goes to IESE (they don't call it Universidad de Navarra, even though that's its subtitle, or whatever!) Send me an email and ask any questions you might have. We've both really liked it and been very pleased with the experience!

#59706 - 03/02/01 02:00 PM Re: we're moving to Madrid!
Jaime Offline

Hi kbc123,
My husband is an IT consultant. When you said your husband is a consultant is this what you are talking about? I am interested because he is considering job opportunities in Spain. I know unemployment is high there now but I was under the impression that there is a shortage of IT professionals.
Thanks, Jaime

[This message has been edited by Jaime (edited 03-02-2001).]

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments