Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#91528 - 09/17/12 09:09 PM Madrid with a kid
Jersey guy Offline

I will be in madrid during the first week in November with my 11 year old sports and history-minded son for 3 nights then heading onto other spots in Spain. Other than a real game and the prado what are top spots for kids. Also, what neighborhood or lodging would be best? I was thinking of one of the hostels in Huerta, but did not know if one was particularly kid friendly. Finally, I was thinking of going onto Valencia and then barca. Is that better to do by train or car? Thanks for any tips.

#91529 - 09/18/12 06:59 AM Re: Madrid with a kid [Re: Jersey guy]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
Huertas will be a great neighborhood for a history-minded boy. You are close to many museums and other historical cultural attractions. (Just walking around and admiring the architecture is fascinating!) One other thing in addition to a Real Game that you might consider is taking a stadium tour. It is awesome to go behind the scenes there. The Bull Ring also has a tour, although since it isn't bullfighting season, I don't know if the tours still run.

I've stayed at two different places in Huertas. One is the Hostal Persal. It's a hostal, but feels much more like a nice hotel. The other is the Hostal Jaen which is more like a hostal, including the lower price. There are lots of places in that area to stay. I'd recommend either of my two, although if budget isn't a big concern, probably the Persal over the Jaen.

Trains are a wonderful way to travel in Spain. I've never driven much, so perhaps others will comment. The trains generally take you into the city center or close to it and public transportation is plentiful and economical.

I think your son will love Spain. Keep us posted.

#91531 - 09/18/12 12:08 PM Re: Madrid with a kid [Re: teachertraveler8]
Crisco Offline

Huertas is a great location to visit the Prado where currently there is an exhibition of armoury-the rest of it is in the Royal Palace.Close to the Prado is a great Naval museum.
I suggest you visit the tourist office in the Plaza Mayor where you can choose tours for under 5 euros!There is a booklet for children to work through the main sites of Madrid and when they hand it in they will receive a very cute Madrid bandana and pencilIf you get an early start,make a trip to Segovia,your son wil love the aqueduct and castle!
In the Huertas area,I have stayed at the Jaen-lovely couple but speak very little English.There is a plaque showing the birthplace of Cervantes and further down the same pedestrian street is the Dulcinea-very clean.The house of Lope de Vega is on the same street and it is free,open to the public.
If the weather is bad,then the on/off bus would be great to get an overview of Madrid.
Madrid is a very kid friendly city!

#91532 - 09/18/12 12:19 PM Re: Madrid with a kid [Re: Crisco]
Crisco Offline

I forgot to mention that there is a great tour of the Real Madrid stadium!

#91533 - 09/18/12 02:25 PM Re: Madrid with a kid [Re: Crisco]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Take the double decker, on/off, bus tour. It has commentary inEnglish and one of the channels is just for children so the history is geared towards them. Very entertaining.
Madrid and all of Spain is kid friendly, so don't feel nervous about taking your child anywhere. It's not uncommon to see children running around the tables at a bar/terraza while the parents enjoy themselves too.

#91535 - 09/18/12 06:32 PM Re: Madrid with a kid [Re: laduque]
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
I agree with what has been said before, Madrid is a place where you can see many children with parents until very late at night, so your children will be welcome. Go to the Egyptian Templo de Debod too. It is very cool. The Retiro park is a special place to take children. Go for Chocolate and Churros at Chocolatería San Ginés (near the Royal Palace). have fun!!

#91538 - 09/19/12 06:44 AM Re: Madrid with a kid [Re: esperanza]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Sundays in the Retiro Park are great for kids. Lots of kid-friendly and kid-focused entertainment there - but not sure for 11-year olds. Maybe renting a rowboat in the lake would be fun for him, though. Kids tend to love the Teleférico from Parque de Rosales to the Casa de Campo, too. And Crisco's right, don't forget a Santiago Bernabeu Stadium tour. That's pretty cool.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#91540 - 09/19/12 08:00 PM Re: Madrid with a kid [Re: MadridMan]
Jersey guy Offline

I appreciate the tips. One other thing I was wondering is if there are any festivals during November. We'll be there from the 2nd to 11th (spread bw Madrid Valencia and barca), and I cannot find anything in any guidebooks. We'd even go somewhere off the beaten path for an "authentic" experience.

Also, I'll listen to what people have to say about Valencia as a kid destination. We are leaving out of barca so we are going there no matter. But we could also head to barca via Zaragoza or other towns along that route.

Thanks again.

#91545 - 09/22/12 06:30 PM Re: Madrid with a kid [Re: Jersey guy]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
I just came back and Retiro park was full of youngs having fun, jogging all over the place, oh so many memories of teenager days!!! darn they still do the same thing chase girls ::)

#91546 - 09/22/12 06:32 PM Re: Madrid with a kid [Re: pedmar]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
good advise for history minded take him to Temple Debod at parque de la montaña or Oeste by most nowdays, great egyptian stuff there.
and the wax museum on Castellana near plaza de colon.
cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 952 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments