Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#62835 - 09/07/02 06:41 PM USAvs.España Basketball
toddy Offline

Loc: USA
I have to admit the world is closing in on the US domination of basketball, although it's a little difficult to swallow. It does represent Europe's advancement in basketball and it has risen the bar of competition. For this, I can digest......May the best team win......

#62836 - 09/08/02 12:01 PM Re: USAvs.España Basketball
toddy Offline

eek ouch........... a night of indigestion.....Well, as sporstman I must say, "En hora buena España." Spain was the better team and deserved to win.

P.S.
Next time we'll be back with our real players wink

#62837 - 09/09/02 05:51 PM Re: USAvs.España Basketball
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Whatever happened to the McDonald's Challenge...pitting club teams against each other, three from Europe and the NBA champ (or the team dubbed worthy to represent)? I believe the NBA went 100% in that series every year.

What's interesting is that the national team in the USA is never the strongest for the World's, but we send our better crew for the olympics. Frankly, a team of players who man-for-man are more talented than the other team doesn't mean you get the best team. USB has been getting by on its b-game for years. Yugoslavia, Argentina and Spain beat the NBA's J-V team, and that's that. We didn't care about thw World's and we weren't set to care until the team went 4-3 in Indianapolis.

I have no doubt that a team consisting of those players who were not in Indiana (namely Shaq, Kobe, AI, GP, Tim Duncan, and why the hell didn't they give C-Webb a call?) would have left any Argentine team, regardless of their "crisp passing and backdoor cuts" in the dust with a margin of victory that would befit their reputation.

The NBA is still the best league around, or Stojakovic would still be throwing up 3-balls for Jugoplastika with Divac at center, and Pau would still be sporting the blaugrana for FCB.

And Toddy, stop replying to your own posts...give us some time to chime in, buddy...geesh! rolleyes

#62838 - 09/09/02 07:18 PM Re: USAvs.España Basketball
toddy Offline

Sorry Calibasco,
I guess I just love sports too much. :p

Hey, I have a question for you though, did we use our pro NHL players in the olympics?

#62839 - 09/10/02 01:38 AM Re: USAvs.España Basketball
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Yeah, we did...but you see, Canada did too, and since their players are better, man-for-man, and always have been better, they happened to hand our arses to us in the gold medal game. Ask any Canadian/Habitant, and they'll tell you that hockey is their game...not ours. I'm still fielding comments from friends in disbelief that Rob Blake and Paul Kariya are Canadian, and not, in fact from Los Angeles and Bangor, Maine, respectively.

I love hockey, and still can't figure out why ESPN's "National Hockey Night" isn't as big as "Hockey Night in Canada", but hockey is not our national pasttime...we have to settle for wussy steroid-gulping, money-grubbing baseball for that...and only at Sydney did we finally win gold in that (thanks to Doug Mientkiewicz and Tommy Lasorda!).

Remember, it's a "miracle on ice" when the US hockey team wins, but it's not a "hallelujah on the hardwood" when US Basketball wins...just expected. It was still the JV team...and still an unimportant tournament in the eyes of most Americans.

#62840 - 09/10/02 07:43 PM Re: USAvs.España Basketball
toddy Offline

But of course most of those heh eh Canandians live in the United States wink

#62841 - 09/11/02 01:05 PM Re: USAvs.España Basketball
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

US money...US taxes...would you prefer their taxes go to the Canuck Coffers? ¡¿Qué dices?!

#62842 - 09/24/02 07:54 PM Re: USAvs.España Basketball
toddy Offline

Whew!
At least the US women won. I can now stand tall next to my Spanish amigos laugh

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 759 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments