Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#59881 - 03/29/01 01:27 PM foreigner banking matters
Jasonbrooks72 Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
what is the best way for an american to take care of his banking needs in Spain. I plan on staying for possibly a year, working, teaching English. Most likely, without the legal papers. Is it possible for me to open a bank account in a bank in Spain. Can I open a citibank account in the states and use their Spanish branch. Can I use my Visa card everywhere. What about a cash station card? I don't want to have to carry cash and travellers checks everywhere I go!

#59882 - 03/29/01 02:30 PM Re: foreigner banking matters
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi Jasonbrooks72! Coincidentally, I tried doing this (opening a bank account in Madrid) during my 1999 trip, but was very unsuccessful and I too went to the Citibank bank on/near Calle Serrano.

It seemed that without residence in Spain and/or not being a citizen, I COULD open a bank account at any of the banks, but it would cost something amazing like $5,000 JUST TO OPEN IT! I think I asked the same thing of Citibank about opening an account in the US and using it in Spain, but still, to have the account active in Spain they'd have to open a Spain accessible account for the $5,000. Keep in mind that mainly only big-businessman have banks in foreign countries.

You'll find other banking/ATM-related threads in the "Packing" forum, but you may want to just keep all cash you make onhand (I know. I know. Not entirely safe). It's also possible that you could get yourself a safe-deposit box at a bank there too (I'm not at all sure if they even have them in Spain) and that's where you could save/store the bulk of your cash without any paperwork on transactions.

You could, it seems open a joint account with a Spaniard, but then they too are responsible for any taxes/fees/penalties and this wouldn't really be fair to them.

So, in short, it's a tough situation. If possible, have a load of cash in your stateside bank and use your ATM card to get cash from any one of the ATM machines when you need it.

Anyone else have suggestions?? Good luck!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#59883 - 03/29/01 02:42 PM Re: foreigner banking matters
rhonda Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
hola,
hmmm...well when i came here i had no trouble opening a bank account. It was over a year and half ago now, so it's hard to remember the details, but i know i didn´t have anything then(no residence card, no work permit, etc). I think if you guarantee that you will put a minimum amount there every month, then there is no problem. The bank I used was OpenBank(Paragon). Another bonus, i got a free weekend at a Parador for joining, AND the person who recommended me to join ALSO got a free weekend at a Parador. Nice eh? But i dunno if they still do that. Anyways, sorry i don't have more details. Just give them a call or check out their website and send them an email asking.
Saludos,
Rhonda

#59884 - 03/29/01 03:33 PM Re: foreigner banking matters
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Hmm. I, too, thought anyone could open a bank account in Spain. I did, a long time ago, and my father did (and he never even lived there) at the Barclay's Bank in Plaza Colon. Your Visa card will be fine, and the cash station card (that's an ATM card, right?) as well.

If you do open an account, perhaps you should avoid Citibank. I opened an account with them for a few months in 1996, believing they would be helpful with my move back to the US. They ended up botching up everything I asked them to do. Eventually, all I had to do was walk through the door, and the manager would start apologizing. (This was in a branch off the calle Princesa, close to the Corte Ingles.) Over the years we found Caja Postal and Caja Madrid to be the best. Of course, things change day to day, and branch to branch. Good luck.

#59885 - 03/29/01 05:12 PM Re: foreigner banking matters
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
La Caixa has a non resident account, no problems.

#59886 - 03/29/01 05:18 PM Re: foreigner banking matters
Jasonbrooks72 Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
Does this bank La Caixa exist in Barcelona considering that is where I will be?

#59887 - 03/29/01 06:19 PM Re: foreigner banking matters
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
That's VERY odd!! I swear I tried at 3 or 4 banks and they all told me the same. This included Caja Madrid , Banco de Santander , BBV , Barclay's , and Citibank . Maybe I looked like a "shady character" or something.

Rhonda, and you don't have residency or a student visa or something?? OpenBank, eh? I wonder if they're at www.openbank.com or .es? Hmm.. will have to try. (Nope. Nothing for either)

Asterault, like I said above, I could open an account at all those banks, but it would take something like $5,000 minimum deposit to do so. Maybe La Caixa doesn't operate this way for foreign, non-residents. Hmmmm.. Will have to check that out. Thanks!!!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#59888 - 03/30/01 03:32 AM Re: foreigner banking matters
rhonda Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
MM,
Ok i have a my residency and everything now, but back then i didn´t. And I know 5 other people who did the same, and at other banks(not only OpenBank, without visas and papers). Hmmmm...the number to OpenBank es 901247365. I know they have a website, but of course right now i can't seem to find it!
Anyways, if i can be of any help (call and ask questions for anyone) just let me know.
Saludos,
Rhonda

Ahhhh, ok found the website http://www.patagon.es or .com

#59889 - 03/30/01 04:57 AM Re: foreigner banking matters
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
La Caixa is from Barcelona but has offices everywhere in Spain (that I've seen). Ask for a 'cuenta non-residente'. I opened one with about 100.000 and that's all.

Of course, you have to get a cooperative person at the bank, but that goes without saying, this is Spain.

[This message has been edited by Asterault (edited 03-30-2001).]

#59890 - 06/10/01 05:31 PM Re: foreigner banking matters
seul6 Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, Ca.
Has anyone successfully opened a Spanish bank account from the US via the internet or mail? I am moving to Madrid in January,2002, and would like to open a savings account now, while the dollar is riding high. Besides the peseta will be phased out next year, and who knows how the euro will fare relative to the dollar.
Please share your experience. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments