Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#86342 - 01/18/10 08:43 AM Half the fun...
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Philadelphia, Aruba DWI
... is planning the trip. I'm about half way through making reservation for the April-May sojourn in Spain and realized that the process of organizing everything is an absolute joy. I've marked out the itinerary (for the most part and subject to change). Now I'm in the process of creating a sort of guide with pages of things that I are high priorities such as historical sites, museums, restaurants, and so on. Of course, those accidental finds can be the best, and I look forward to them.

At any rate, was wondering if anyone else has fun planning their trips.

#86343 - 01/18/10 09:04 AM Re: Half the fun... [Re: admiral44]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
Oh Yes!! I feel like I have to remind myself to live in the present and not the past (my last trip to Spain) or the future (my next trip to Spain)

What sort of things are you planning Admiral44? Are you traveling alone or with others? (I am making the upcoming trip with my son and hoping he loves it as much as I do)
How long will you be there?

#86344 - 01/18/10 09:05 AM Re: Half the fun... [Re: admiral44]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I´m going to France in April/May and will be near to some places i´ve had high on my list ! . I already have my flights booked .. Madrid-London-Toulouse-Madrid .... We´ve hired a beautiful converted stables with a big private pool in the village of Ventenac en Minervois ... 8 bedrooms and 6 bathrooms so plenty of room . It´s also very near a big wine chateau ! And the village lies on the banks of the Canal du Midi .
Perpignan , on the Spanish borders is nearby and , most importantly , the City of Carcassonne with it´s fairytale castle . I speak French better than Spanish so I´m looking forward to this trip !

Hey , teachertraveler8 , I´ve travelled with my mum many times .. normally to Moscow to see my brother , but we have done a few other trips like to Bandol in the South of France ( Totally recommended if you want to see the REAL france ! ) But our ages are more "compatible " now ( she´s 65 and I´m 43 ) . Your son is definitely going to want to do things different to you , right ? 16 years old he´ll have an idea of HIS itinerary ! Hehehehehe . I sometimes go AWOL in Moscow just to do my own thing ...to get away from any organised situation . I prefer travelling alone . Taking photos and diving into "local" places that mum would probably avoid .. Dodgy bars or cafés in dodgy areas .
I hope he´s looking forward to it . He´ll have a great time for sure . Keep checking on the Real Madrid games !!

Edited by MadridMan (01/19/10 02:11 PM)
Edit Reason: combine two consecutive postings.

#86345 - 01/18/10 09:17 AM Re: Half the fun... [Re: steve robinson]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Hey , teachertraveler8 , I´ve travelled with my mum many times .. normally to Moscow to see my brother , but we have done a few other trips like to Bandol in the South of France ( Totally recommended if you want to see the REAL france ! ) But our ages are more "compatible " now ( she´s 65 and I´m 43 ) . Your son is definitely going to want to do things different to you , right ? 16 years old he´ll have an idea of HIS itinerary ! Hehehehehe . I sometimes go AWOL in Moscow just to do my own thing ...to get away from any organised situation . I prefer travelling alone . Taking photos and diving into "local" places that mum would probably avoid .. Dodgy bars or cafés in dodgy areas .
I hope he´s looking forward to it . He´ll have a great time for sure . Keep checking on the Real Madrid games !!

#86350 - 01/18/10 01:39 PM Re: Half the fun... [Re: steve robinson]
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

TeacherTraveler,

I'll be traveling with my wife. We both enjoy visiting Spain very much, so it's a good fit. We'll be spending a few days in Madrid, then setting out for a long drive over the course of a couple of weeks. I'm interested in seeing the Roman ruins in Mérida, several castles, and a the countryside in general. We prefer to stay in the smallest possible hotels, which I've found can be both good and bad. Either way, every time I've visited Spain, I've found it to be fascinating.

One book that I've been reading (again) is H.V. Morton's A Stranger in Spain. I mentioned this book in another post. It's Morton's account of his visits in the mid-1950's. His observations are wry and witty. I'll be using some of his journey to pick points to check out. I'd like to compose a similar book of my own some day.

Safe traveling to all.

Edited by admiral44 (01/18/10 01:40 PM)

#86352 - 01/18/10 03:00 PM Re: Half the fun... [Re: admiral44]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
In april, I'll travel to Venice and Florence. I enjoy planning my trip

#86353 - 01/18/10 04:07 PM Re: Half the fun... [Re: jazz]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Think about picking up a book called " Ghosts of Spain " by Giles Tremlett . He lives near me though we´ve never met . The book is fascinating !

#86355 - 01/18/10 04:46 PM Re: Half the fun... [Re: steve robinson]
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Steve Robinson,

I read Ghosts of Spain. It was a fair take on things in Spain but lacked the kind of zeal that a fellow of Morton's generation is capable of generating.

#86358 - 01/19/10 03:43 AM Re: Half the fun... [Re: admiral44]
eskimo joe Offline

Loc: st cyrus , scotland
admiral44 , Merida is a great town , and they often stage concerts at the amphitheatre

#86359 - 01/19/10 06:28 AM Re: Half the fun... [Re: eskimo joe]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
Speaking of books, Admiral, yours have great reviews on Amazon. I love to read a new author. I hope you will be writing about Spain sometime.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments