Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#86325 - 01/17/10 09:40 AM Spain to the rescue!
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Philadelphia, Aruba DWI
There was a photo in Saturday's (16 January) New York post showing a rescue worker holding a boy he'd pulled out of the rubble in Haiti. The man's uniform bore the patch of "Junta de Castilla-Leon."

Many thanks to those from Spain contributing to relief efforts in Haiti. Professionals like these will certainly provide much needed help.

Gracias!

PS: I put a photo of the page on my blog (bentpage) that is part of my signature below.

#86326 - 01/17/10 10:00 AM Re: Spain to the rescue! [Re: admiral44]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I´m pleased to say , admiral44 , that there are also reports of British rescue workers pulling out survivors , including babies . I´m so happy to see the world , lead financially and practically , by the USA , helping this impoverished nation of Haiti in it´s hour of need . I`m still , however , certain that whilst we can do our best the suffering will be immense for weeks to come .I´ve noticed also that many interviews with sobrevivientes in Haiti , by Spanish TV , have been in Spanish whilst Haiti is mainly French or Creole speaking . I´m guessing that there are many people living there from , for example , La Republica Dominicana .

#86329 - 01/17/10 05:33 PM Re: Spain to the rescue! [Re: steve robinson]
Rodolfo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Stockton,Ca.
Nice to hear so many are helping out there. They have a long road ahead.
Unfortunately relief efforts became politicized in the U.S. from day one. Sad to say.

#86330 - 01/17/10 07:12 PM Re: Spain to the rescue! [Re: Rodolfo]
MedicalMan Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Rodolfo,
I don't understand your comment. I see where the U.S has sent 6 warships with vast medical capability and that can produce hundreds of thousands of gallons of fresh water for them and a 250 bed Level-1 trauma Hospital Ship to help the Haitians. Not to mention the hundreds of firefighters, Rescue experts and medical teams. The U.S. seems to be leading the International effort, but only because Haiti is in their back door. I have not seen any Political posturing by any country over this tragedy. It is great to see Spain out in the front helping lead this effort as well.

Originally Posted By Rodolfo
Nice to hear so many are helping out there. They have a long road ahead.
Unfortunately relief efforts became politicized in the U.S. from day one. Sad to say.

#86332 - 01/17/10 07:34 PM Re: Spain to the rescue! [Re: MedicalMan]
Rodolfo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Stockton,Ca.
MedicalMan,
I'm afraid you misunderstood me, I never suggested that the U.S. was passive and not offering assistance. Only saying that within the states, the matter has been politicized.

#86335 - 01/17/10 11:16 PM Re: Spain to the rescue! [Re: Rodolfo]
MedicalMan Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
I personally have not seen the Haiti issue used for Political purposes yet and hope that any politician who does is quickly censured. My background is as a Military Physician Assistant who was lucky enough to be stationed in beautiful Madrid for 3 years with NATO. I know the 82nd Airborne Division is already on the ground in Haiti and setting up Field Hospitals and assisting the Haitian police and Armed Forces with security to prevent looting and rioting. I think the last count I heard was that there were various teams from over 30 countries helping out in Haiti. I am stationed in Hawaii now, and many of the military medical personnel from here are leaving to go assist. I know Spain has sent Rescue teams and the Spanish Army is preparing a Field Hospital to deploy as well and Turkey has their Earthquake rescue teams digging through the rubble as they have had to do so many times from the earthquakes in their country. We may not be able to put their country back together after this, but at least the International effort can save lives and limit the immediate suffering over there, so their government can focus on rebuilding. Saludos!

#86337 - 01/18/10 05:23 AM Re: Spain to the rescue! [Re: MedicalMan]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I think it would be difficult to politicize this situation but I´m sure that any politician WOULD try and find a way of doing it ..in any country . The point is that either a country assists Haiti or it does not ... If it does , like USA , Britain , España , France etc.... then the world will be applauding them (and rightly so ! ) . If they are not offering finance or assistance then questions should be asked . I , for one , am proud that the 2 main countries in my life , Great Britain and Spain , have stepped up to the mark .
Apart from the huge military and civilian response from the USA , I also heard that American Airlines are providing free transport to Port au Prince for doctors and health workers ...that´s very generous . There´s a telephone number .
I have friends , MedicalMan , serving in the US Military ( USAF ) as medics ( I met them in Madrid ) and I know they´d be very proud to go to Haiti if they were asked , though they have been sent to Afghanistan recently .
On a lighter note .... wow ! ... That´s a great posting !! .. I´ve never been to Hawaii but will go one day . One of my favourite musicians , Jack Johnson , hails from Oahu .

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments