MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#63635 - 06/09/03 06:58 PM Spanish, Hispanic and Latino
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Here I found an interesting blurb on the differences between what Latino, Hispanic and Spanish means:

Hispanic
Probably the most common term in the Northwest, the word Hispanic has an extremely broad definition. It can be used to refer to anyone who is from Mexico, Central America, South America, Puerto Rico or Cuba - or their descendants, even if they were born and raised in the United States.
It can be used interchangeably with Latino, but it can have a slightly different connotation. There are some who object to its emphasis on the word Spain, or its sterile origin as a term created by the U.S. government as a census category.

Latino/Latina
Maybe the best choice when referring to an entire population rather than an individual person, the term Latino can be used to refer to anyone of Latin American descent.

Depending on the part of the country, it can be used instead of Hispanic. It's more likely for people within the Latino community to use this term in favor of Hispanic, especially in California.

Chicano/Chicana
A politically loaded and sometimes derogatory term, Chicano traces its roots to the student movement of the 1960s.

Technically, it refers to someone of Mexican descent who was born and raised in the United States, but it usually also is associated with activists and the political left.

It was created by students who believed neither the terms Mexican nor American, or even Mexican-American, were adequate to describe who they were.
"The power of that decision is more significant than the actual term," Pizzaro said. It is sometimes used as an insult within the Mexican culture to refer to someone who is no longer a true Mexican.

Mexican-American
An American citizen of Mexican heritage.

Mexican
Technically a Mexican citizen, it is used sometimes by mistake to refer to a Mexican-American. Just because someone lives in the United States doesn't mean he isn't a Mexican citizen.

Spanish
Either the language spoken in Mexico and throughout South America, or a person from Spain. It should not be used to refer to someone from Mexico or South America, although white Americans sometimes make this egregious blunder.

Anglo
A non-Hispanic white person, according to the dictionary. The term is used mostly by Hispanics to refer to Caucasians, although whites are beginning to use it increasingly to refer to themselves, as well.

Although the term 'white' is often used as a synonym for Caucasian, it is not. Hispanics can be any race or color, including white.
It's true that many of the Hispanics in Eastern Washington are dark complected, but there are white Hispanics with blue eyes and blond hair.

#63636 - 06/10/03 09:18 AM Re: Spanish, Hispanic and Latino
Sarita Offline

Loc: Sevilla
Espe,

This is very interesting and my Spanish husband (who is always referred to as Hispanic) will appreciate this explanation.

Here's another question to ponder...on employment papers when they ask for "race" what should a Spanish person put if the options are between Hispanic and White (Not of Hispanic origin)? My husband puts White since he's European. Except he looks dark enough to be Latino! Like he said to me, why isn't SPANISH or European an option??

Olé............

#63637 - 06/10/03 10:51 AM Re: Spanish, Hispanic and Latino
Espe3 Offline

Its because of the AA (aff. action) I usually put both white AND hispanic :p and if one or the other Hispanic- again because of the minority, as Spaniards in the US we are a minority and it most appropriately fits there. They won't put european on it, because that pretty much fits the 'white' on those forms- as in the US they're not looking for people's actual nationality but decendance.

#63638 - 06/10/03 11:02 AM Re: Spanish, Hispanic and Latino
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Once again I have to disagree with the author(s) you cite.

The U.S. Government DHHS had so much difficulty establishing criteria for giving preference to minorities in many of its programs that they just threw up their hands and defined: 'Hispanic surname' as a criterion. If a (Spain) Spanish man marries an American woman, their children get this 'minority' preference. But Esperanza, your children dont qualify (nor do mine) because you married a person who doesn't have a Hispanic surname.

Ihave heard a lot of Puerto Ricans and Cubans referring to themselves as 'Spanish.' Maybe it's because they were Spanish before 1898 or maybe they identify themselves by the language they speak, even though many are functionally illiterate in Spanish and in English. frown

And how about la Raza? I lived in the Southwest U.S. and visited Mexico frequently. I understood that la Raza was the Mexican race: defined when la Virgen de Guadalupe appeared to a young Mexican/Mestizo boy and told him to deliver some roses she gave him to the local ArchBishop. la Raza combined the Indian culture, the native born Mexicans and the European Spanish. Nowhere in the article you cite is la Raza mentioned. rolleyes

Now I hear other Hispanics referring to la Raza as if it were an Hispanic rather than a purely Mexican thing.

#63639 - 06/10/03 12:29 PM Re: Spanish, Hispanic and Latino
Jonsoniana Offline

I had never thought about this question until I had my first encounter with American burocracy. I had never thought of myself as a member of an ethnic group, maybe because I come from a place where there is not much ethnic variety so I never thought of myself in those terms. When it came to choose one of the options in the documents I was clueless. The 'whites' I know are of European descent, either British or German or French, so since I am Spanish, ie, European, white appeared as the most sensible option to me. Also, despite sharing a common language, Spanish, with those from Latin America, I do not really feel very much culturally connected with them, I feel closer to the rest of Europe. That is why Hispanic did not seem to be an option to me.

Since I was confused I talked to some people about it. I was given two answers: to put Hispanic or Latino by those Hispanic and to put 'other' and then Spanish by those whites, I guess I do nto qualify as white, as pale as I may be and European. This showed to me how this issue may be highly subjective in some cases. These cases are of those of us for whom belonging to an ethnic group in opposition to the others is not a central feature of our identities. I know it may sound silly not to know how to define ourselves in those terms, but the whole race thing and positive affirmation sounds alien to me and I still have to get used to it...

#63640 - 06/10/03 05:40 PM Re: Spanish, Hispanic and Latino
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
This has always been an issue here in the US as our country has been segmented for most of it's existence. Yet, even during the times when Spain was in possesion of the New World there existed differences between what people should be called. Take for example the Spaniards that were born here in the New World. They were not accepted in Spain as being Spanish but rather Criollos or Creoles; white subjects born of Spanish ancestry but not born in Spain. They had a second class distinction from the ones born in Spain. You had the Mestizos, Mulatos, and I don't even know if there is or was a term for Asian/Spanish mix (Filipinos). Then you had the Indians at the very bottom of the ladder who still are discriminated in their own lands, and God forbid if you call anyone in some Latin American countries an Indian if they are living in the city or living a so-called white way of life. They are not Indians they are white! I had a Pen-Pal from Uruguay that got angry at me and stopped writing me because I asked him what his native background was as it was plainly obvious from the photo he sent me that he was of an indigenous background. He took it as an insult and stopped writing me.

The US government is trying hard to distinguish this large group of people because we are now the largest ethnic minorty in the country and it's not easy, especially when as a group we are not politically, socially or economically united. I have been associated with people of Mexican, Cuban, Puerto Rican and South American ancestries and many have called themselves Spanish simply because they are white or have ancestors from Spain. Are they wrong, should you blame them? I myself am one quarter Spanish and am proud of it however I do not call myself Spanish. My father is Mexican (born in Mexico). My mother is half mexican and half Spanish (her father was Spanish). So, what am I to call myself? Simply put, I am an AMERICAN...of Mexican/Spanish descent. I am not a Mexican-American, just an American. I am not Mexican/Spanish as I was not born in Mexico or Spain.

Regarding what I label myself on Census or applications? It all depends if it important to do so. I am not going to throw a tantrum if you call me or ask me if Im any of the above, just don't call me a Chicano! That is one label I will not accept! To be honest I do not use my ethnicity to distinguish myself nor for self gain. I do not rely on affirmative action programs to assist me. I do not belong to any Hispanic/Latino groups, not because Im against them I just don't. I strongly believe in self determination and reliance. I vote according to what is important for the whole community, not for only a single group. I don't need a label or group to know who and what I am. I am me, I am myself, I am I. And, before I get criticizm from some, let me make it perfectly clear that I am NOT ashamed of my background nor of my parents!

#63641 - 06/10/03 06:08 PM Re: Spanish, Hispanic and Latino
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Esperanza, I think the definitions are not very accurate. It says that Latino/a can be used instead of Hispano/a. If you look "latino" up in the Diccionario de la Real Academia Española you will see that Latino means "Natural de los pueblos de Europa y América en que se hablan lenguas derivadas del latín". That is, someone from Portugal, France, Italy, or Brasil is also "latino" because they come from places in America and Europe whose languages come from Latin".

#63642 - 06/10/03 06:53 PM Re: Spanish, Hispanic and Latino
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
In fact, the terms Lathyn America, latino, lathyn-american and so on were introduced by frenchs which wanted to prive Spain of having any relationship with former colonies during their independence times.

Hispanic, hispan-american, and so on are more accurate terms because they englobe the spanish connection (nobody questions the influence spanish culture had on those countries) and Spain itself, and Portugal and Brazil (Hispania was the name of the roman province of the Iberian Penninsula).

As I always say: I'm not a latino, I'm a spaniard a european and a hispano wink

Fernando

#63643 - 06/10/03 11:55 PM Re: Spanish, Hispanic and Latino
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
OsoMajor, VERY WELL SAID!!! I am in total agreement with you because I am in the same boat!

You took the words right out of my mouth! smile

#63644 - 06/11/03 12:59 AM Re: Spanish, Hispanic and Latino
Espe3 Offline

Not to be confused with Esperanza who started the thread but:

Eddie, I disagree. I do not use my Spanish surname in the US and I do qualify as a minority and I'm Spanish. (Yes, from Spain) Depending on what it is or why I'm asked... I actually started some time ago to do 'Other' and put in Spanish. Hey, if they REALLY want to know! :p

Fernando, really if you want to look at definitions- you're Latin also- check out Antonios definition!

I think from an American standpoint the definitions that Esperanza posted are accurate. Antonio- you too are correct, but as many other things, definitions also change based on cultural differences and biases. In Spain its very different to be called Hispano o Latino- but really, who are we referring to when we say that. In the US not only has the government stepped in and put their foot in it- but due to past connotations made when someone was called Hispanic or Latino many of our Spanish speaking counterparts began referring themselves as 'Spanish' because it regarded better if you came from Europe rather than Latin or South America.

Even more confusion comes when some Hispanics or Latinos refer to themselves as Spanish for what it means in their countries. Still it is seen by many as a status symbol- if your family came from Spain 500 years ago you're Spanish- doesn't matter if no one ever stepped foot there again. So by those terms I guess from Spain we're really Romans or Moores or take your pick really, since there's such a mix to choose from! wink

So many americans are confused when you say you're Spanish. The next question is usually, From where? When really it should be pretty obvious. It has been my experience that its been the source of confusion even among Hispanics or Latinos when they say they're Spanish. Nobody really knows where eachother is from without asking some more questions.

I think the Governments problem (part of it at least ) is that in order to categorize people into different groups they made the HUGE mistake of mixing cultures with races- trying to group apples not all by different names, but apples to oranges so to speak.

Personally I'm not a big believer in races. After all, for the most part we all have 2 eyes, ears, arms, legs, 1 heart, 2 lungs etc. So some of us are a bit darker than others, variety is a wonderful thing! smile But don't tell me that you love spanish food because its spicy! Or that I must love tacos because I'm Spanish! :o

Oso mayor- you expressed yourself very well. If it were only so easy to say that I'm german because I was born there. But that's almost all the german I have! So I don't go with the what are you by birth because I didn't grow up there either. I've always disliked the question: What are you? Depends- do you want where was I born, Where did I grow up (another not easy one for me) or What am I? (The last being the easiest as I go by what I identify with).

This is one of those topics that will go round and round and round in circles and never really get anywhere. I don't really like the terms Hispanic or Latino- its a very broad and not very useful label- and that's really what it all comes down to. A label. Tell me if your Mexican, Argentinean or even Chinese! :)Then we'll get somewhere!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1598 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments