MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#62471 - 07/30/02 04:36 PM Madrid's Calle Huertas under heavy construction
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Hi there!
(Can you even say that?)
Well folks, I just wanted to report on the thorough construction work being done in that ever so popular smile street. However, it's not going to become a 'peatonal'(only for pedestrians) street, it's clear by the looks of it at the moment that cars will be able to circulate as well.

pim

P.S.: I guess I'm living one of the Madridman's members ultimate experience; having a 'bocata de calamares' and a Mahou beer at El Brillante as I write wink .

BTW, at the little shop around the corner from my place they have hesitated a little about selling me the can of beer since starting last Sunday night it's forbidden for shops or stores to sell any alcohol after 10PM! (they have actually asked me to conceal it). It's one of the new laws that have sprung from the 'anti-botellón' one.

Cheers! smile Have a nice evening everyone!

#62472 - 07/30/02 06:25 PM Re: Madrid's Calle Huertas under heavy construction
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
YIKES!! At what section of Calle de Huertas is the construction or is it "ripped up" from top to bottom? I thought I had heard it was going to become totally pedestrian.... or only used by "service vehicles". No??!

Also, HOW COULD YOU BE EATING/DRINKING/WRITING FROM El Brillante? Were you writing from a laptop with a cellular/movíl modem???? AND HEY, you can't fool MadridMan! You were NOT having a Mahou beer at El Brillante.. Because El Brillante does NOT serve Mahou beer, only San Miguel. You say you bought the can of Mahou beer at a little shop around the corner from where you live.. so this "little shop" was not "El Brillante"? And you took this can of Mahou and drank it AT El Brillante with your bocata?? I'm totally confused. confused hehehe.. smile

But still... that sounds like the PERFECT life.. A fried squid sandwich, a large cold beer, writing on the message board, AND doing it all from the terraza of El Brillante. Mmmm.. Nice.. I'm dreaming of it now... smile

Aparently the store owners aren't taking seriously the new anti-botellón laws if they sold you beer by the can after 10pm. rolleyes

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#62473 - 07/31/02 01:33 AM Re: Madrid's Calle Huertas under heavy construction
pim Offline

MMan,

At home, I was at home! I live a little 5-10 minutes from El Brillante smile ! Once in a while if I pass by it around dinner time I can't help to drop by and get some "take away" squid.

The owners of the store (a Chinese family of course) know me from buying my 'pan' and my cat's food there everyday! It would have been a little bit weird if they didn't serve me, ovbiously an adult! a can of beer at 10:10PM, don't you think?

I'll report further on Calle Huertas when I take a good look at the whole of it.

(I'm surprised I haven't been told this is the wrong thread for 'bocatas'! wink )

Have a nice day everyone!

#62474 - 07/31/02 09:20 AM Re: Madrid's Calle Huertas under heavy construction
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
The pedestrianization of Calle huertas is part of the general plan to make a car-free route all the way from the Palacio Real through Plaza Mayor, Plaza del Angel, down Huertas to the Prado. Actually they're going quite quickly with the "obras" this time. They're doing it in 3 phases, starting at the bottom, and if all goes to plan they'll start digging up the top bit, nearest Plaza Santa Ana around October. (More dust and noise! But it's in a good cause) Once completed, it will be open of course for service vehicles for an hour or two in the mornings, and cars will be able to cross it at all times on the perpendicular streets.
Meanwhile, I went to my friendly local chino shop last night to buy some beer at 10.05pm, and because she knows me, she hurriedly tied some cans up in a plastic bag for me. We were both left feeling like we'd committed a dreadful crime, and I watched both ways as I left the shop for police, before rushing around the corner for the safety of my home. I'll have to take to wearing a trenchcoat for my harmless purchases. It's really a stupid law, but small family run businesses are understandably quite scared to break it lest they lose their permit and livelihood.
PS, PIM, get in touch and we can enjoy some illicit San Miguels or Mahaos together!

#62475 - 07/31/02 11:07 AM Re: Madrid's Calle Huertas under heavy construction
caminante Offline

Loc: New York City
Is the "anti-botellon law" only for Madrid? Does it mean that after 10:00 PM you can only get alchohol in bars and clubs? Are there any other provisions?

Just wondering ....

#62476 - 08/02/02 09:20 AM Re: Madrid's Calle Huertas under heavy construction
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Pim, because you asked, yes, "Hi there" is perfectly correct and acceptable.

#62477 - 08/02/02 10:41 AM Re: Madrid's Calle Huertas under heavy construction
pim Offline

OOOPS! SORRY Puna, I was hesitant about the "heavy construction" part. :o

Barry, YES, LET'S! it sounds like a great idea to me, just tell me when and where. smile

#62478 - 08/13/02 07:50 AM Re: Madrid's Calle Huertas under heavy construction
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
There's an article in today's Madridiario.es about the REconstruction of Calle de Huertas. Here's a bit of the article, but you can read the rest and see a couple nice photos HERE :

El "paseo literario" incluye textos de afamados escritores

La buena marcha de las obras de peatonalización de Huertas permitirán adelantar su término a diciembre

Madrid.-MDO
La calle Huertas estará cerrada al trafico completamente antes de las próximas navidades. Las obras de peatonalización finalizarán a mediados del mes de diciembre, según ha asegura a MDO el concejal de Movilidad, Sigfrido Herráez, "aunque quedarán algunos remates" puntualiza. Estaba previsto que las obras finalizaran en el mes de febrero; sin embargo, la empresa constructora que lleva a cabo los trabajos se ha comprometido a finalizar la peatonalización de cara a las vacaciones de Navidad. La primera fase de las obras, que abarca desde la plaza de Platerías de Martínez hasta la calle Jesús, ya está terminada.
Again, read the rest of the article HERE .

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments