Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#56758 - 09/12/06 06:21 PM Spanish Toilets
cosmo57 Offline

Loc: toronto
I know this is a wierd topic but lets face it as a traveller in a foriegn country, knowing where to find a good clean public toilet is sometimes very important. Unfortunately, I take medications that force me to make frequent (and sometimes urgent) visits to the loo. As a first timer in Madrid, I am assuming that with the number of bars and cafes you need only to identify a promising one, enter, likely purchase something first, and hope that their faciliities are relatively clean.
Am I correct in my assumptions?
Am I likely to find stand up toilets as in much of France?
Are there any peculiarities around Spanish toilets (public or otherwise) that I should know about.

#56759 - 09/12/06 08:23 PM Re: Spanish Toilets
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
Cosmo57,

I also take medicine that gives me the same problem. Last time I was in Madrid, I really noticed the lack of public facilities, that is, there are practically none around tourist sights and monuments. You pretty much have to rely on those in ars and cafes. As for the cleanliness of these facilities, I've seen much worse in the U.S. They're generally clean if a little outdated.

At least it's better than when I was first in Spain where in many bars there was a pole, a bombsight, and sawdust. The good ol' days?

#56760 - 09/13/06 05:21 AM Re: Spanish Toilets
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
This is an important topic - in my opinion.

PUBLIC TOILETS in Spain really don't exist. There are a few scattered around the big cities, on busy street corners, where you insert a coin (usually one Euro eek ) to go in. I've never used one but can imagine knowing you're sitting in there with the noises of people walking inches by your toilet kiosk and buses whisking by nearby would be more than unsettling.

Cleanliness of Bar/Restaurant toilets REALLY have improved A LOT IN THE 11 YEARS I'd been traveling to Spain. Wow. Night and day difference. Still, it's a good idea to carry at least some folded toilet paper or tissues just in case.

The closest thing to "Public Toilets" in the big cities are usually in the local El Corte Inglés shopping centers - although just finding the bathrooms can be a challenge. And these aren't really intended to be "public" but rather for shoppers.

Spaniards, being such a social people, visit the bar 1, 2, or 3 times a day for a coffee, breakfast, vermouth, beer, Coca-Cola, lunch, etcetera so they always (if necessary) use the restrooms there and don't need public toilets.

It can be a good idea to rest from your sightseeing and take a 10 or 15-minute break for a coffee, Coke, or beer at one of the nicer bars where the bartender/waiters are wearing nice, white shirts and maybe bowties - at these places you can usually find good, clean, private bathrooms but they'll expect you to sit down at the bar first - unless it's a busy place.

A vicious cycle? Sure it is. You have to go to the bathroom so you go into a bar. You sit down, order a beer/Coke, drink it quickly, pay, and go to the restroom. Then, 30 minutes later (or more or less) you have to go to the restroom AGAIN because you just had that drink 30 minutes earlier. If you can't go-long withoug "going" I'd recommend ordering (at the bar) a non-diuretic drink like Fanta Limón, Sprite, or things like this. Diuretic drinks include beer, alcohol, coffee, Coke, softdrinks with caffeine - these things make you have to urinate.

Good luck! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#56761 - 09/13/06 09:10 AM Re: Spanish Toilets
France Offline

Loc: Ottawa, Canada
I just went to any McDonald's..or Pans and Company...or any Dunkin Donut or sandwich shop.....and while not often too clean, they offered me relief!

#56762 - 09/13/06 10:40 AM Re: Spanish Toilets
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
France is a real mess regarding toilets. They force you to sit down, order a coke (perhaps even something more if they see you are in hurry), pay 7 euros for that coke, and then you can use their locked toilet. The French... ou la la!

In Spain toilets in bars and restaurants are for customers too. You are supposed to order something. However, in most bars they won't tell you anything (specially if it is crowded and they don't notice you :p ). If you are in hurry order a coke/coffee and go straight to the toilet. You can pay later and go to the toilet in the meantime.

Stand up toilets are unheard of in Spain (by the way, in Europe they are called french toilets for a reason...).

Fernando

#56763 - 09/25/06 05:05 PM Re: Spanish Toilets
Chele60 Offline

Loc: Yorba Linda, California
At the end of our trip to Spain last year I had a UTI, so I understand your concern. I never found any difficulties, and strangely, no one asked me to purchase anything, either. Then again, most of the bars/cafes I wandered into were rather busy at the time. Maybe that was it.

However, I found there were restrooms available at all tourist sites. (speaking of places such as the Alhambra, cathedrals, museums, etc) We also did a road trip for 2 weeks, so there were times we needed to find a restroom on the road. It was not a problem to ask at a cafe/restaurant - we would ask to buy something, but usually it was during a time when the kitchen was not serving any food, and we were told to just go ahead. We also used the facilities at a few gas stations. I was very skeptical, but ended up completely shocked - the restrooms were far cleaner than anything in the US! (Even in some very out of the way places!) In fact, except for Madrid (same is true for all big cities, I suppose), almost all restrooms were very clean and well maintained.

No surprises for those of us coming from North America, though having some tissue handy is probably helpful. Also, being able to ask in Spanish in more remote locations is a big help!

#56764 - 09/26/06 04:31 AM Re: Spanish Toilets
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I second what Chele60 says about the cleanliness of gas station bathrooms, especially those along the major highways.

I was completely surprised, after some trepidation, the first time I entered a roadside gas station bathroom. It was far cleaner than ANY public restroom I had ever seen in the States.

Also, what MadridMan says about finding a bar where the waiters are dressed respectably is good advice, but not always true. My husband and I, on recent road trip to Soria, stopped at a roadside restaurant along the way for lunch. The restaurant looked clean and newand the waitstaff appeared professional. They kindly took our son's babyfood into the kitchen, warmed it up and served it in a ceramic bowl at no extra charge. I thought it was a nice touch. My opinion of the place quickly changed after my post-lunch visit to the restroom. I was horrified. eek I won't go into details, but rest assured it was worse than ANY public bathroom I have ever seen anywhere. I could not use it that is how disgusted I was with it. :yuck: When I returned to the table, I mentioned it to the waitress and she seemed to brush it off as if to say "not my job" mad .

That said, I think that situation is more the exception than the rule. But now, before ordering something from an unknown restaurant, we always check out the restrooms first. They are usually a good indication of the rest of the hygiene. wink

#56765 - 10/07/06 07:26 AM Re: Spanish Toilets
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Thankfully the Spanish love there coffee shops so there's usually one within walking distance. Particulary downtown. The walk from Plaza Castillia to General Yagoo (about 20 mins 10 blocks maybe) where I do school I pass about 6 or 7 cafes all which have bathrooms not too hidden.

#56766 - 10/09/06 05:51 AM Re: Spanish Toilets
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
i think is true of most European capitals as i travel on business here. toilets are for the paying customers. you can sneak in but be warned they can reprimend you for it at any time. cleaniness is another story hard to score:some are clean some are not depends on the establishment.
In France they have public toilets cubicles type where you pay to be locked in but i do not like to use those:rather order a cafe expresso!!!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Mah-g, Ricardo Mata
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2236 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments