Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#85163 - 08/26/09 04:35 PM ABC Serrano-Madrid
Rodolfo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Stockton,Ca.
What can you/anyone tell me about ABC Serrano.
The web site isn't much help. I've read a small artical about it in the NY Times but I can't find much more out there.

Is it worth a visit?

Thanks!

Edited by Rodolfo (08/26/09 04:37 PM)

#85164 - 08/26/09 05:24 PM Re: ABC Serrano-Madrid [Re: Rodolfo]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
IMO it's not that great, some high end boutiques because of the neighborhood, but nothing special. For better shopping, obviously go to the centro between Sol and Gran Via, or shop on Calle Serrano and surrounding area which ABC is right off of. If you want more of a shopping center atmosphere and stay out of the heat, catch a ride to the outskirts of town and head for Xanadu or another indoor mall! They are great, but more suburby!

#85165 - 08/27/09 04:09 AM Re: ABC Serrano-Madrid [Re: laduque]
Daniel-Madrid Offline

Loc: Madrid
it has quite a few shops, and also a few cafeterias on the ground floor. As laduque says, a lot of them are boutiques. it is not that bad, and is in a nice area.
One area worth visiting is the Haagen-Daaz resturant on the lower ground floor :-)
Also, I don't know if they still do it, but on the top floor used to be a restuarant where they did an all-you-can-eat buffet at lunchtimes. they food was always great, and not too expensive either.

One thing, be careful if you go there with kids. It seems that the toilets are used frequently by gay men (i don't know if it is the same for the womens toilets), I have often been either propositioned there or heard 'activity' going on in a cubicle.

Oh, and for better shopping I'd go to Calle Goya.

Edited by MadridMan (08/27/09 06:14 AM)
Edit Reason: combined two consecutive postings

#85167 - 08/27/09 01:23 PM Re: ABC Serrano-Madrid [Re: Daniel-Madrid]
Rodolfo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Stockton,Ca.
Thanks everyone!

I suppose if I'm in the area I'll pop in but I won't make a trip there. I'm still curious. I hear the building itself is very nice.

I do have family that works at the American Embassy up the street. If I go to the embassy I'll go to ABC.

Thanks again!

Looking forward to my trip this October

#85176 - 08/29/09 02:41 AM Re: ABC Serrano-Madrid [Re: Rodolfo]
Donna Cuervo Offline

Loc: New York, NY
If you want a big shopping center, there's a huge one at Barrio del Pilar. It's a long metro ride from the center, so there are not many tourists there.

#85177 - 08/29/09 11:44 AM Re: ABC Serrano-Madrid [Re: Donna Cuervo]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Rudolfo, have you not found the REAL ABC Serrano website? I ask because the BASE URL (with just the .com) shows the website as "Under Construction". Click my link above for more info about the history and such - only in Spanish.

The ABC Serrano building is beautiful on the outside and even parts of the inside so if you want to go just to see it and take photos then great.

If looking to do real shopping, the new-ish, near-downtown typical shopping mall at Centro Comercial Príncipe Pío (metro of same) has all the mid-range shops, has a huge food court, and even a multi-plex cinema (no original version movies here, though). So if you want the American Mall Experience near downtown it doesn't get any more typical than this.

Saludos, MadridMan

Edited by MadridMan (08/29/09 11:50 AM)
Edit Reason: update information

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#85182 - 08/30/09 02:52 AM Re: ABC Serrano-Madrid [Re: MadridMan]
Donna Cuervo Offline

Loc: New York, NY
That mall has boring stores.

#85183 - 08/30/09 04:36 AM Re: ABC Serrano-Madrid [Re: Donna Cuervo]
Daniel-Madrid Offline

Loc: Madrid
Principe Pio isn't bad, and there are plenty of shops. I'd say that it is certainly better than ABC Serrano. It is just the the ABC is in a nicer location, and close to other shopping areas

#85194 - 08/31/09 12:25 AM Re: ABC Serrano-Madrid [Re: Daniel-Madrid]
Crisco Offline

When I used to take student groups to Spain I always took then to La Vaguada and let them wander for a few hours.
http://www.enlavaguada.com/
It was a quite a metro experience and away from the tourist places so it really forced them to speak Spanish.I think it is the closest to an American mall except for the presence of a grocery store! Definitely worth the trip-better stores than at Principe Pio which appears to be a teenage hang out.

#85221 - 09/02/09 03:09 PM Re: ABC Serrano-Madrid [Re: Crisco]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
ABC Serrano is old and nice but not too many choices. Here is another one nearby about the same
http://www.jardindeserrano.es/EN/index.htm

for real shopping centers you need to go a bit outside city limits but easily accessable like at Sexta Avenida
http://www.sextavenida.com/
or Plaza Norte 2, bus takes you from plaza castilla in Madrid
http://www.plazanorte2.com/

Happy shopping

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments