Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#47833 - 07/09/07 10:10 AM Food Shopping -what to bring back?
joycenj Offline

Does anyone know if there are there any restrictions on what foods I can travel back with from Spain to the US? wave

#47834 - 07/09/07 11:05 AM Re: Food Shopping -what to bring back?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hehehe... YES! AND A LOT OF THEM, I'm sorry to say.

Read over the U.S. Customs page on Prohibited and Restricted Items @ http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/prohibited_restricted.xml

Canned goods are always allowed up to a point. I remember on one return-flight back to the USA I'd packed a suitcase nearly full of about 30 cans of anchovy-stuffed-green-olives and 20 bricks of Spanish coffee. I was in Spain-Heaven for about 3 months.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#47835 - 07/16/07 08:25 AM Re: Food Shopping -what to bring back?
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Bolton England
when we went to florida,we took pre packed bacon in tightly sealed clear plastic, and when we got to customs we declared it to the officer, who promptly took it off us due to no food being allowed into the USA.
Seeing as it was nicely sealed and packaged, i assume he ate well at breakfast for a week!

#47836 - 07/16/07 11:50 AM Re: Food Shopping -what to bring back?
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
The Wife flew into the States a while back and alot of people got caught by the dog bringing fruit back. this was before collecting your bagage so I asume that the baggage gets scanned as well. I'd love to bring some chircio (spelling?) with me this fall when we fly home (to Canada)but I dont' think it would make it past customs. I'm temped to put in to checked baggage but on top where it's easy to remove it found, under the hope it may slip through.

#47837 - 07/16/07 05:20 PM Re: Food Shopping -what to bring back?
Valenciano_en_Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Majadahonda (Madrid)
Tim Hortons Man,

I didn't understand, you are from Frankfurt (Germany) but soon you will be in Madrid (not yet).

Then you said that your wife flew to the USA, but you want to take some CHORIZO?? to your home in CANADA?

Where are you from?

#47838 - 07/17/07 10:11 AM Re: Food Shopping -what to bring back?
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Jamon and any meat is definitely on the restricted list! I bring cheese (the 1 or 2 kilo wheel) back and never have had a problem. I also bring back dried beans (legumes) and canned tuna, olives, etc..., never a problem.
Good Luck, if your favorite food is restricted, chances are you can buy it online through this website, to the link of latienda.com ....

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments