Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#47736 - 05/25/06 05:41 PM Madrid Book Fair, May 26-June 11
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I wasn't sure where to stick this post but I guess "shopping" is as good as any (unless you feel otherwise MadridMan; if so, please insert it in the best place). Anyway:

I recommend a visit to the Madrid Book Fair (Feria del Libro) in the terrific surroundings of the Retiro Park. It's a great Madrid tradition, I think it goes back at least 50 years.

It runs from May 26 to June 11, in the Paseo de Coches in Retiro. Hundreds of stands with every kind of book possible to tempt you (as well as 10% discounts!). And even if you don't buy anything, it's just nice to walk around and peruse.

One tip: if possible, try to avoid the weekends and weekend crowds. It'll make the experience a lot more pleasant.

:jump: I don't know what this little guy means, but I just felt like adding him!

#47737 - 05/26/06 06:05 AM Re: Madrid Book Fair, May 26-June 11
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Encuadernación (i.e., bookbinding, mostly leather) used to be one of Spain's specialties. At the book fair you can find many de ocasión (used) books that you might want to have just for their extrordinary bindings. rolleyes

BTW
As I recall, there are always bookseller kiosks along the south edge of Retiro Park (i.e., not just during the Feria del Libro). cool

#47738 - 05/26/06 06:17 AM Re: Madrid Book Fair, May 26-June 11
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

That's exactly right, Eddie. But those booksellers were temporarily sent down to el Paseo del Prado because there was construction there. I know there was some kind of debate about their returning to the original place or not (I hope so), but I don't know where the issue stands right now.

The best place for good buys is at the Feria del Libro Antiguo y de Ocasión in the Paseo de Recoletos. It used to be around this time of year, but they've moved it to April, so those of you who are interested in that will have to wait til next year.

The Feria del Libro de Madrid is NOT a trade show for professionals; it's for the general public to enjoy. Publishers and bookstores alike have stands there, and many famous (and not-so-famous)authors do signings, so don't miss out a chance to visit it. There are usually events for kids too, like storytellers, etc., and there are terrazas to have a drink at. More than just a book fair, it's a social event for the whole family...the way the Spanish like to do things.

In fact, at this very moment the King and Queen of Spain should be there inaugurating it, as they do every year. If you hurry, you might catch them.

#47739 - 05/26/06 10:49 AM Re: Madrid Book Fair, May 26-June 11
sallyanne Offline
Executive Member

On 2 different occasions i've seen a book sale just across the road from Atocha Station. does anyone know how regular that is?

#47740 - 05/27/06 04:13 AM Re: Madrid Book Fair, May 26-June 11
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

That's the one we were mentioning before. the ones which have been temporarily sent to the Paseo del Prado. That book sale is permanent.

By the way, I was at the book fair yesterday. Beautiful evening. Lots of good things to see. I think I was wrong about the discount. I think it's only 5%, if that, but it's still not bad.

Go and enjoy

#47741 - 05/30/06 10:43 PM Re: Madrid Book Fair, May 26-June 11
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Eddie,

If you find yourself in Salamanca in the Calle de los Libreros you will find many excellent shops with beautiful examples of Spanish Leather binding. You are right, Spain has been, since the 1950's, the one place where a reader could find affordable books with stunning leather binding.

I have a set of the Obras Completas de Don Miguel de Unamuno, edited by Manuel García Blanco, which are a work of art. The Publisher, Escelicer spared no expense in making these tomes. The paper is thin bible paper. I purchased them in Madrid in my first visit back in the early 1970's.

The leather is still as vibrant as it was when I bought them.

I also picked up a lot of very fine books in my last visit to Salamanca. These I chose primarily because of their lovely binding and end papers.

#47742 - 05/31/06 02:42 AM Re: Madrid Book Fair, May 26-June 11
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Yesterday afternoon I spent 3 hours at the Fería del Libro in Retiro Park. That was my first time! Very interesting. And what perfect weather after 7pm!

We saw a number of English-speakers book-browsing as well. After so much walking we left and headed DOWN the "Cuesta de Moyano" in the "Calle de Claudio Moyano" (across from Atocha Train Station) where the now we see the now-closed (and in plan for total renovation) book stands - mentioned above by sallyanne and Murday in previous postings in this thread - which has always been called "Fería del Libro". We then went to the backside terraza aof El Brillante for calamares, patatas bravas, and some drinks.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#47743 - 06/01/06 06:42 AM Re: Madrid Book Fair, May 26-June 11
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

"La Cuesta de Moyano", that's the name of the hill where the permanent book fair is.

Glad to see you got a chance to see the book fair. By the way, this year is the 65th edition.

Also, I stated in an earlier post that the fair was a professional trade show, when I meant to say the exact opposite. I've since corrected it.

By the way, what did you think of the outdoor exhibit "La Tierra Vista desde el Cielo"?

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments