Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#47134 - 02/10/04 11:36 AM Madrid: taking my bike?
sakko Offline

Loc: detroit, michigan, U.S.A
Greetings,

I am wondering if I should bring my bike to madrid. I will be attending school for 5 weeks this summer. is it a good mode of transport in : and around the city? additionally, does anyone know what it would cost me to get it there? finally, do the trains and buses have bike compartments? confused

Thanks!

This message board is most helpful! smile

#47135 - 02/10/04 12:05 PM Re: Madrid: taking my bike?
Miguelito Offline

Madrid is a very uncomfortable city for bikes. I don't know what will be the way you would do, but in general I would forget about the bike if you'll be only 5 weeks. Plus, in summer it's hot. The good thing it's than in August the streets are empty and the cars won't disturb you so much.
It's possible to get in with the bike in the train (cercanias) or metro in weekends and on some times. About bus between cities it depends on the company, you have to ask first.

#47136 - 02/10/04 03:21 PM Re: Madrid: taking my bike?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
sakko: I brought a bike to Spain in 2002, but for a different purpose. We rode the Camino de Santiago. To answer your questions:

*You can check your bike as a piece of luggage on most American air carriers. You have to have it in either the original bike box or in a hard-side bike carrier [available for about $250 from bike shops]. You can get a random bike box from any decent bike shop. My guy even gave me the spacers and axle protectors to keep the fork from being bent in transit. Be sure to pack the bike's "vital organs" in soft towels, etc. in order to keep them safe. If you'll be at a homestay, check with your family as far as room to store your box. Most hotels will let you store in their storeroom as long as you stay at their place.

*Madrid is too easy to get around on foot/bus/metro to spend the hassle trying to get your bike into town. I suggest that you leave the bike at home unless you feel like getting out of town frequently for some road/MTB riding. The metro is inexpensive and my preferred mode. If you'll be there for five weeks, you can even spring for a monthly bus/metro unlimited use pass. It's a good way to go.

#47137 - 02/11/04 12:22 PM Re: Madrid: taking my bike?
sakko Offline

thanks you both very much. laugh i appreciate the feedback. is there good mountain biking around madrid? and if so, where? I was planning a weekend trip to Andalusia to mountain bike, but if i can bike during the week that would make my trip. cool

#47138 - 02/11/04 04:30 PM Re: Madrid: taking my bike?
nevado Offline

I've done some biking in Cercedilla and Navecerrada which was quite good. You can ride up to the 'puerto' for a challenging route. I also have a book that gives 52 cycling routes around madrid (one for each week of the year). It is arranged by season and difficulty; if you'd like, I could scan you some pages.
I shipped my bike to Spain by air and had no diffuclties (except being overcharged by the taxi to Madrid; didn't argue, couldn't have done it myself)! Take some tools with you and ride to Madrid from the airport, it would certainly make for an interesting intro to Spain! wink

#47139 - 02/11/04 07:58 PM Re: Madrid: taking my bike?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Nevado: Thanks for opening up the old "surcharge" wound wink I had almost forgotten about that. The shuttle bus from Barajas to the Hotel Madrid did NOT charge me, but we couldn't take it from the hotel to the airport on the way out since we had to leave at 5:30 a.m.

We got fleeced since it was a día feriado and all the taxis were in use [seriously...] in the a.m. from the night's partying. Our friends at Hotel Madrid called a couple of buddies to pick us up...at 30 euros per.

That is good information to have on the taxi surcharge though. You might consider putting a few extra bungee cords or some rope in your bike box. Odds are that your taxista won't have nearly enough to do the job right.

#47140 - 02/12/04 07:17 AM Re: Madrid: taking my bike?
ChrisR Offline

Loc: D.C.
Nevado,
What's the name of the cycling book you have for the Madrid area? Is it in Spanish or English, and do you know if it is still available? My bike is still on my balcony six weeks after getting it from the movers and I'm ready to get back on the saddle.

#47141 - 02/15/04 10:29 AM Re: Madrid: taking my bike?
sakko Offline

CaliBasco,

when you did the camino de santiago, which route did you choose? additonally, are there any good bike shops in madrid you can reccommend? i am now considering biking this pilgramage in june.

thanks!

#47142 - 02/16/04 03:01 PM Re: Madrid: taking my bike?
nevado Offline

Chris,
Sounds like me, except mine was unpacked a year ago! rolleyes
The book is in Spanish and it's called "52 excursiones alrededor de Madrid" (en bicicleta). I bought it 9 years ago so don't know if it's still around. It's published by El Pais Aguilar. It has a nifty velcro "carpeta" with loose pages so you can just take one with you in your map pouch.

#47143 - 02/17/04 01:17 PM Re: Madrid: taking my bike?
ChrisR Offline

Loc: D.C.
As for bike shops, one of my work colleagues recommended Mammoth Mountain Bike ( http://www.mammoth-mtb.com/ ) at C/Fuente del Berro, 9, phone 91-309 32 59 (QDQ.com lists 91-634 17 88). He hasn't been in Madrid all that long either, but seems happy with their service. Haven't taken my bike there to be dusted off and put back together yet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments