Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#47717 - 04/26/06 11:20 PM Purchase car in Europe
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
Has anyone purchased a car in Europe and sent it back? How did it work out? What were the particulars, and what sort of hassle took place when you got back to the States with it?

#47718 - 04/27/06 07:16 AM Re: Purchase car in Europe
ChrisR Offline

Loc: D.C.
You have to purchase a car that has US specifications or can be altered to meet them. The easiest way to go through the auto company to see if they have a program for European delivery of a US specs car. We did this in 1983 with a VW camper. We picked it up in Osnabruck where the microbus was modified to the camper version. It had special plates that allowed various family members to drive it around Europe for the next twelve months before it was dropped off at the port for shipment to the US. The shipping was included in the purchase price. The price was no cheaper than buying the vehicle from the local dealer who arranged the sale. That and you couldn't haggle.

#47719 - 04/27/06 09:38 AM Re: Purchase car in Europe
desert dweller Offline

ChrisR:Thank you. I had heard rumors that one could make the purchase at a good savings in Amsterdam then drive for a few days and send home as used for another savings at the port on customs. Maybe wishful thinking on my part. cool

#47720 - 04/27/06 04:00 PM Re: Purchase car in Europe
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Cardiff by the Sea CA
Both Saab and Volvo have European delivery programs, and maybe Mercedes Benz as well. They usually throw in the cost of air fare for one, maybe two, plus overnight stays near the factory (in the case of Saab). It makes sense if you wanted to buy one of those cars anyway, plus you'll have a great car to drive around Europe. Your local dealer should be able to help you--they usually have someone on staff who deals with European delivery. Perhaps you save a bit of money once you factor in not having to rent a car. I wonder how long you have to wait for the delivery of the car in the States?

#47721 - 04/27/06 09:43 PM Re: Purchase car in Europe
desert dweller Offline

Aidance:Thank you for your input. They all have a European delivery program, what I am trying to determine is if there is any real finacial incentive. Rumor has it that one can save enough this way, that when they get the car back here they can sell at a profit even after the cost of the trip and vacation. Being your basic American Capitalist Pig that is something that has my attention. wink

#47722 - 04/27/06 10:25 PM Re: Purchase car in Europe
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Cardiff by the Sea CA
If Arizona allows diesel cars, then maybe you could get some cool turbo diesel car that will run on used oil from MacDonalds. With fuel prices skyrocketing you should have no problem at all selling the car, maybe at a profit....Wow, I hadn't thought of that--finance a European vacation by buying a car! My problem would be that only cars I'd want to buy in Europe are those you can't find here--like a really nice Citroen or Renault, or a Smart Car or the Mercedes A car, none of which you can drive in the States.

#47723 - 04/28/06 09:51 AM Re: Purchase car in Europe
desert dweller Offline

Aidance: Do a net search, there is a guy bringing in the Smart and bringing it up to US specs. He is selling it as a "gray" market car. VW does bring in their diesel cars. The London Taxi is imported with a turbo diesel. cool

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments