Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#47625 - 10/04/05 10:08 AM Madrid: I need a wok and spices
e-man Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hi all, does anyone know where I can buy a cast-iron wok in MADRID or where there is an Asian supermarket? (that sells currypaste, lemongrass, coconut milk, tofu etc...)
I.ve been looking all over but can´t find it, any and all suggestions welcome cool

#47626 - 10/04/05 11:00 AM Re: Madrid: I need a wok and spices
nevado Offline

In the neighborhood surrounding Tetuan (going up Bravo Murillo from Cuatro Caminos, it's on a parallel street to the right) there are a few asian stores that should have most of what you're looking for. I don't have the address, sorry. I have always had a hard time finding lemongrass so now I just grow my own.

#47627 - 10/06/05 07:37 AM Re: Madrid: I need a wok and spices
JasMadrid Offline

You can buy a Wok pretty much anywhere. Just go to El Corte Inglés and you will find a nice selection. I have one myself. When I look for spices I usually find many of them in Sanchez Romero supermarkets, specially the one in Moraleja Green.

#47628 - 10/06/05 11:04 AM Re: Madrid: I need a wok and spices
Chica Offline
Executive Member

There is a large Asian supermarket in the subterranean shopping center under the Plaza de España... you enter where you would enter the underground parking.

Also following up on what Nevado wrote in the Tetuán area there are several Chinese food stores on Calle General Margallo which is parallel to Sor Angel de la Cruz and bisects Calle Bravo Murillo. The metro is line one, stop is Tetuán. You could probably find a wok in one of those stores as well.

Happy shopping!

#47629 - 10/06/05 01:17 PM Re: Madrid: I need a wok and spices
nevado Offline

Chica, do you think the one in plaza de espana is better? I haven't been to that one. Do they have cilantro root? That's a tough one for me to find and it never grows (I kill it)!

#47630 - 10/06/05 02:51 PM Re: Madrid: I need a wok and spices
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Hi nevado! You ask a good question. I stumbled across the store in Plaza de España several years ago and that was the last time that I was there. I managed to load up on chinese sausage and buy the bok choy that I was looking for.

Since then I have been going to the ones in Tetuan since they aren't far from where I live and carry all the products that I typically buy.

I am not as nearly adventurous as you with the cilantro root, although I am sure that they would probably have it in the dozens of Latin American food shops that also populate Tetuán.

Someone mentioned Sanchez Romero . I have heard that they have an extensive selection of American products and other produce that is hard to find. However, I haven't been there to see for myself,..and since I have plenty of ethnic food stores almost at my doorstep, I prefer to support the little guys. There is even a store near me that sells "afro-caribbean" products, including bushmeat! eek

Perhaps the next time you are in Madrid you could check out Sanchez Romero to see if they have what you are looking for!

#47631 - 10/14/05 09:15 AM Re: Madrid: I need a wok and spices
Nativo Offline

The two places are kind of extremes, the shop on the parking entrance is "truly asian" as you can tell from the views and smells from the bar/restaurant besides (not for weak bellies). On the upper side of life, there is Sanchez Romero. As you said, they will have an extensive (and expensive) variety chosen from gourmet point of view.

I saw a good wok offer in Habitat, nevertheless if you go to Tetuan, that's chinatown it's all said.

#47632 - 10/14/05 01:58 PM Re: Madrid: I need a wok and spices
janel Offline

Did you find anything yet??
I got my wok at Habitat and for my purposes its great. There are also lots at the shop Chica mentioned in the store under plaza España.. just follow the signs for the "parking". I have never been to the shops around Tetuan since I live south of Retiro.. kinda out of the way, but how are they? Worth making the trip??
Also for fresh veggies and stuff check out the market near plaza españa. Go UP the street away from the plaza towards Noviciado and turn right by the street San Bernadino. Its great!
Saludos,

#47633 - 10/17/05 06:26 AM Re: Madrid: I need a wok and spices
e-man Offline

Thanks for all the replies, guys!
I ended up finding one, an authentic chinese one no less, in a chinese food store in the "Calle de Embajadores" which is near Metro Embajadores. They also had most of what I was looking for by way of sauces and spices.
I've also noticed that the IKEA in Parque Oeste sells woks as well.
I'll be sure to check out some of the other addresses mentioned above, thanks again!
Cheers,

E-man

#47634 - 10/17/05 07:54 AM Re: Madrid: I need a wok and spices
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
I think the Chinese market on Embajadores is one of the best I've found so far. There's another market right next to Principe Pio station that's also worth checking out. You go out the main entrance (the one with the arch in front). Look to the right and you'll see the market on the corner. For produce and fish, I'd recommend Mercado de los Mostenses.

There's also the Japanese market Tokyo-ya near Estrecho. They are considerably more pricey, but good if you are looking for something very specific that the other markets don't carry. But the little pan-Asian market near Plaza Santo Domingo (just across from the store Casa in the little arcade) has started "importing" Japanese products from Tokyo-ya to save Centro dwellers from making the trek. All of those spots right around the Tetuan metro stop are good, too.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments