Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#47362 - 11/28/04 01:11 PM Madrid: Where can I buy inexpensive bedding? (sheets/pillows/etc.)
sincopated Offline

Loc: New York
Hola todos -

So I am moving into a new apartment soon and don't own any sheets/pillows/comforters (the place I'm at now provides them).

I went to el Corte to see what they were like and whoa -- i'm not dropping 70 euros on sheets and 40 euros on a bath towel. unless they're 500 thread count.

Anyone know where I can find a decently-priced set of sheets, and perhaps a pillow and comforter? I don't need to go super cheap and sleep on sandpaper, but something maybe in the 20-30euro range.

I'm willing to take the metro anywhere, but would prefer to stay in the city center...anyone have a favorite place?

Also -- can someone please explain to me what term they use here for "sheets"? I always used sabanas, but I see other words (nord/nordico?) and Im not quite sure what they are. any clarification would be appreciated. thanx.

#47363 - 11/29/04 12:18 AM Re: Madrid: Where can I buy inexpensive bedding? (sheets/pillows/etc.)
MedicalMan Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
There are numerous IKEA's located around Madrid. I don't know if one is on the METRO line though. IKEA is reasonably priced and has sheets, pillows etc.....

#47364 - 11/29/04 04:20 AM Re: Madrid: Where can I buy inexpensive bedding? (sheets/pillows/etc.)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I can not tell you places. I bougth once in a place I can't remember, and a couple of times in "La Vaguada" kind-of-mall Alcampo supermarket some blankets, in sales.

But "nordico" is short for "edredón nórdico" which means "nordic style quilt".

sheets/sábanas
pillows/almohadas
mantas/blankets

Conforters? Sorry, I don't know what that is. smile

#47365 - 11/29/04 05:32 AM Re: Madrid: Where can I buy inexpensive bedding? (sheets/pillows/etc.)
The_Keeper_at_Home Offline

Loc: Madrid
When I first moved here a friend was kind enough to drive me to one of the outside town hypermarkets. For basic basics I recommend one of the Carrefours or larger Champion stores. If you let me know the area you will be living, I can give you directions to your most convenient store.

Be aware these are basics and not luxery quality, just your down to earth basic cotton products.

mad IKEA!!!! Grrr.... the Swedish branch of Al Quaida.
Hate hate hate hate.... feel a Fight Club night coming on. eek

Everything you KNOW is wrong.

#47366 - 11/29/04 05:47 AM Re: Madrid: Where can I buy inexpensive bedding? (sheets/pillows/etc.)
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Hi,

Please keep on using 'sábanas', you've probably seen the term 'edredón nórdico' written somewhere...but that means duvet.

Another alternative, from the same people who bring you Zara (clothing);

www.zarahome.com

smile

#47367 - 11/29/04 12:05 PM Re: Madrid: Where can I buy inexpensive bedding? (sheets/pillows/etc.)
sincopated Offline

Loc: New York
I'm near Atocha and Paseo del Prado...I can try zara home on c/princesa or i'll try a carrefour...thanks everyone for your suggestions!

#47368 - 11/29/04 01:08 PM Re: Madrid: Where can I buy inexpensive bedding? (sheets/pillows/etc.)
Chus Offline

Loc: Charlotte, N.C., USA
As Ignacio said:
sheets/sábanas
pillows/almohadas
mantas/blankets
And
Conforter/edredon nordico (the one with feathers)
Comforter/edredon (the polyester filled kind)
Duvet/funda de edredon
Coverlet/cubierta de cama
Quilt.. I'm not sure what is called as I just saw them this year for the first time at an Arts and Crafts show in Spain.

#47369 - 11/29/04 04:33 PM Re: Madrid: Where can I buy inexpensive bedding? (sheets/pillows/etc.)
ninas Offline

Loc: Boston,Massachusetts U.S.A
A quilt means frisa. You know for when you get cold at night. wink

#47370 - 11/30/04 04:58 AM Re: Madrid: Where can I buy inexpensive bedding? (sheets/pillows/etc.)
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
I admit I had never heard the word 'frisa' before in my life! I've looked it up and it seems to be a 'manta'(blanket)....

But I think these days you'd call a quilt a 'quilt' (as in English), or an 'edredón' (ordinary, not the nordic kind).

#47371 - 11/30/04 09:04 PM Re: Madrid: Where can I buy inexpensive bedding? (sheets/pillows/etc.)
ninas Offline

Loc: Boston,Massachusetts U.S.A
Yea i know what you mean pim, we call it frisa because it's thick and "pesado", but it could be called something differant in spain cool

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 792 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments